This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

By: Ayu Fatma

Applying for anything is a struggle and If you’re currently looking for a job or internship, you know how taxing it can be.

The first thing to remember is rejection is part of the process, but don’t let that discourage you. It’s important to stay positive and trust that each one of us will end up at a company that’s the correct fit. I took an introspective approach as well as asked other’s what advice they would give to someone who is beginning their job search. While it varies from person to person, here is the list I came up with to help during this challenging time.

1. Know yourself. It’s important to ask yourself who you are as a person, what your strengths are, and what you like to do. Understanding what you don’t like is as important as knowing what you actually do like.
  2. Learn about different career paths. You might be surprised by the different jobs you haven’t even considered yet. You could even land a job in something you’ve never heard of. It’s important to always keep an open mind when going through the process.
  3. Watch what you post on social media. Recruiters look at your social media pages and make an assumption. Make sure what you post is something your grandmother would be proud of.
  4. NETWORK! NETWORK! NETWORK! Sometimes it’s not what you know, but who you know to help you progress in your career. I’m not saying networking would automatically land you a job, but it will help you to get insight about the company and help you stand out during the application process. Make sure to go on LinkedIn and ask for an informational interview.
  5. Do research. Make sure to research a company so you can ask specific questions during your informational interview. It might help you decide if you can be a great fit for the company.
  6. Cover letter and resume ready. Ask your friends, career coach, mom, dad, aunt, grandparents, etc. to look at your resume and cover letter as it can always be improved. Also, it’s a good idea to have different resume and cover letters tailored to a certain company or job. The best advice I can give is to always send a cover letter even if the company doesn’t require it; this shows initiative and interest.
  7. Interview practice. Find a buddy or someone that is willing to help you with interview prep. Some companies (especially consulting firms) require you to do case interviews which is very different than a behavioral interview. Also, be sure to have an answer if they ask you about yourself.
Wake Forest Chapter of Her Campus
Haley Callicott

Wake Forest '19

Haley is a current senior at Wake Forest University majoring in business and minoring in writing. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for HC Wake Forest, a member of Kappa Beta Gamma and an undergraduate advisor for the Student Advisory Board.