hm summer shoppingpng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
hm summer shoppingpng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

How to Avoid the Quarantine Fashion Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Please ditch those sweatpants you’ve been wearing for the past four days.

We’ve all been quarantined for the past 8 months, which means our favorite clothing pieces have likely been in quarantine too. Don’t get me wrong, I like wearing sweatpants 24/7 as much as the next girl, but I think it’s time we all have a small COVID wardrobe intervention. Here’s how to stay cute, comfy, and productive during quarantine. 

1. Try to avoid wearing what you slept in.

The simple act of getting up and getting dressed in the morning will make you feel ten times more productive. It doesn’t have to be anything crazy, but lounging around in what you slept in will ultimately make you want to get back into bed. I know that nobody on Zoom will notice the new top you’re wearing from Revolve, but trust me, it will make you feel better to be dressed nicely during the day.

2. Buy cute loungewear.

All kinds of companies are coming out with clothing lines that look like everyday fashion, but they essentially feel like wearing a blanket all day. They’re comfortable enough to wear around the house, and you’ll look a lot more put together than you actually are. Check out brands like Skin, Aerie, Zara, Sleeper, and Are You Am I for clothes that feel like sweats but look like they could have also been on a FW ‘20 Runway. 

3. Get dressed up and go out, even if you’re not going anywhere.

I don’t know about all of you, but I can hear my favorite party dresses quietly weeping in the back corner of my closet because they haven’t seen the light of day in months. Putting on your favorite pre-quarantine clothes and going out in them will make you feel a lot less quarantined than you actually are, whether you’re taking Instagram photos, going on a socially-distanced date, or just walking around. 

4. Buy new clothes that you’re excited to wear.

There’s no point in getting all dressed up if you don’t actually like your outfit, so it’s time to get online shopping. Buying things that you’re excited about will ultimately make you want to wear them more often, which is better for both you and your closet. It’ll make it much more fun to get dressed every day, and you’ll probably also feel better. Personally, I’ve found that buying new shoes has given me a great reason to go outside and show them off. Happy spending!

Wake Forest '22

my instagram is @juliacaravello
Taylor Knupp

Wake Forest '21

Taylor is a senior from Harrisburg, PA studying Business and Enterprise Management. She is the outgoing Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus at WFU. Taylor plans to move to New York City after graduation to work as a Business Analyst at Verizon.