How to Avoid Overloading on Calories this Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year?

Well, not for the healthy new you that’s been eating right and hitting up the gym 3 times a week. Turkey Day is just around the corner, and many of you are wondering how to stay on track with your health regimen when you have turkey and gravy and mashed potatoes and warm rolls and pumpkin pie (need I go on?) staring you in the face! So how can you enjoy the big meal your family has slaved over while still making the right choices for your body?

There are a few rules to follow for any meal, but you want to be even more aware during Thanksgiving when people keep telling you, “Have more, have more!” A good rule of thumb is to keep your portions at about the size of your fist or smaller. Instead of piling your plate high with potatoes and rolls, try choosing one or the other; your stomach will thank you, and there are always leftovers for the next day.

Instead of wolfing down each bite, eat slowly! Studies have shown that it takes around 20 minutes for your brain to acknowledge that you are full, so the slower you eat, the fewer calories you will take in, and the more you will get to enjoy your meal without falling into a food coma.

[pagebreak]

As far as working out and staying in shape goes, motivation is the key to your success. Maybe you have your eye on a gorgeous dress that would be perfect for New Year’s Eve; keep that in your mind as you push yourself to run an extra mile or do another set of squats. Thanksgiving is the holiday when everyone indulges, so by keeping a goal in mind, even as early as Turkey Day, will keep you fit and healthy.

If you are someone who struggles with saying “no” to your favorite Thanksgiving dishes, you could keep track of what you eat and do something active afterward to counteract those extra calories. For instance, you can fat-proof your holiday by countering a slice of pecan pie with an hour of family football (no tackling please!) or compensate for a cup of mashed potatoes with 2 hours of holiday shopping. Remember, every activity counts, whether you are racing the crowds to get the best deals on Black Friday or vacuuming the house before all the guests arrive for the big meal.

[pagebreak]
Most importantly, collegiettes™, have fun this Thanksgiving! Don’t beat yourself up if you go a little overboard on the turkey and dressing and sweet potatoes. It is the holidays, after all. Remember that it only happens once a year: you have 364 other days to stay on track! Happy Turkey Day!

Jackie Swoyer is a rising senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Business and Enterprise Management, concentrating in Marketing and minoring in Economics. While her collegiate years have been spent in the Carolinas, this aspiring marketer currently calls Cincinnati, Ohio home...although she has spent years moving all over the country and beyond (including a five year period in Europe!). She is currently prepping for a summer internship in the Frito Lay Marketing Division in Plano, Texas, a new stop on her geographical repertoire. An avid reader of all things Her Campus, Jackie also loves to write, listen to Pandora, practice her cooking skills, and find live music anywhere she can.