Haute and Healthy: Weight Training

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

We all know how it is. You’re walking around campus and you see girls jogging every way you turn — so typical, right? Jogging feels like the easiest, quickest exercise we can do while still feeling like we got a good work out in. Everyone knows that cardio burns fat… but is it the only way to slim down?

*Photo from shutterstock.com.

Running is great and all, but if it’s the only type of exercise you’re doing, you probably aren’t getting the results you want. “How do I get the bikini body I want in time for Winter Break Vacation?” You might ask. Weight lifting. No, I’m not crazy. 

Actually, the results of weight lifting in women are way more beneficial than expected. Not only does it improve bone density, joint mobility and body composition, but it also helps relieve anxiety and depression. The benefits don’t end there! Studies have proven that a healthy switch-off between cardio and weight lifting every few days actually helps to burn more calories and fat than just cardio alone. You should be lifting weights at least 3 days a week.

*Photo from examiner.com.

And don’t be afraid to lift as much as you can handle. I promise, you aren’t going to bulk up to the point where you look like a normal colored Hulk-woman. Actually — you won’t even get close to looking like a body builder at all. You’ll look leaner and more toned. Because of our genetic build up, it’s physically impossible to gain as much muscle as boys. You’re going to love the way weight training sculpts your body and gives you curves by making you lose fat and inches in all the right places! 

*Photo from fateofdestinee.com.

Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.