you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Hannah Powell: What It Means to Find Your Way in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

College is somewhat of a contradiction; it is a time to experiment and to try new things, yet it is also a time to decide your future — to determine a very set path for yourself. This contradiction can be overwhelming. Some people are hard-driven toward a specific career while others have no idea what they want to do. Some people find themselves in the middle of this spectrum when, all of a sudden, their plans change. This change can be a relief for some and an unprecedented stressor for others. Sophomore Hannah Powell shared a little bit about her experience with this change, and how she came to find her way in college.

Her Campus: Freshman year can be the most exciting year of your life, but it can also be one of the toughest. What were some of your struggles freshman year, and how did you learn to work around them?

Hannah Powell: Freshman year did not start off easy. I was the only person from my high school so I didn’t know anybody coming in. Freshman year can be really isolating at first for a lot of people, myself included. At first, I found it difficult to push myself out of my comfort zone and meet people, but I was lucky to have an amazing roommate and hall that I created friendships with pretty much right off the bat.

HC: Did you have a plan for yourself coming into college?

HP: I had a slight idea of a future plan, as I wanted to apply to the Business School and major in finance. Yet after enrolling in accounting and taking the first test last fall, I quickly realized that a) I was horrible at it and b) I absolutely despised it. The moment the test was handed back to me I realized it was time to do some soul searching to find out what I really wanted to do.

HC: How has that initial plan changed and how have you dealt with that change?

HP: The change was kind of hard to accept at first, because I felt that I had failed myself in a way. To get over it, I threw myself into my other classes and volunteering across campus. I realized that the classes I loved the most were in the religion department. I could use that major in a productive way and market myself to pursue a career in nonprofit fundraising and development.

HC: Do you have any advice for people looking to change their path?

HP: My first piece of advice would be to not be afraid. I feel like so many people come into college with a set plan of exactly what they want and then they are afraid to defer from that plan, but it’s okay. The first couple of semesters in college are the perfect time for you to explore your options and find out what you really want to do.

Rachel Schmitz

Wake Forest '21

Born and raised in the sunshine state, Rachel is currently a Sophomore at Wake Forest University. She is planning on majoring in both biology and psychology, with a minor in neuroscience. When she isn't busy with school work (and sometimes even when she is), she loves to travel, hike, watch sports, pet dogs, and to feed her online shopping addiction.
Haley Callicott

Wake Forest '19

Haley is a current senior at Wake Forest University majoring in business and minoring in writing. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for HC Wake Forest, a member of Kappa Beta Gamma and an undergraduate advisor for the Student Advisory Board.