Hannah Newman (’11)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Meet Hannah Newman... this spunky senior loves Wake Forest Sports, doing impersonations, going on lunch dates, and plans to move to LA this summer to pursue her passion for acting.

Hometown: Greensboro, NC.  You’ve probably only ever been to Greensboro for our efficiently small airport, but I highly recommend spending a Saturday in town.  I think it is a great city and one of North Carolina’s finest.  Some fun facts: Greensboro was home to the very first sit-ins during the Civil Rights Movement.  We also have hosted the ACC Men’s Basketball Championship more than any other city (it’s there this year!)  If you do happen to make the 35 minute car ride east of Winston, I recommend stopping at Friendly Center for shopping (Apple Store!) and great food!
Major: Communication, Media Studies Concentration
If you could be anyone living or dead for a day, who would it be: Definitely Amelia Earhart (not on her last day though).
Celebrity Crush: I have a few. James Franco (Oscar nominee + Harvard graduate = keeper), Chris Pine (particularly in Star Trek), and James Marsden (all the time).
Best Movie You Have Seen Lately: Easy – Toy Story 3. I just love how our generation has grown up with Andy.  I lose it every time I watch it.  Over Christmas break, I watched the director’s commentary (judging is expected) – if you’re a big Pixar fan, I highly recommend it!
Quote to live by: “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Post Grad Plans: Moving to Los Angeles to do something with acting. Actually, I’m currently in the market for a roommate for next year.  If you’re interested, shoot me an e-mail!
Best Way to spend a free Saturday: Wake up and go for a run, then to an afternoon Wake Forest Basketball game (preferably a win), dinner at Village Tavern, followed by a really good movie.
Music on your ipod these days: My go to favorites right now are ‘Coming Home’ by Diddy Dirty Money and ‘Dog Days Are Over’ by Florence and the Machine.
Dream Vacation: A week at Disney World with my whole family (staying at the Grand Floridian!) followed by some R&R in Australia with lots of scuba diving!

Kelsey Garvey is a junior English major at Wake Forest University. Her upbringing in Connecticut, otherwise known as country club land, inspired her to write in order to escape and locate something more. Writing has also acted as her outlet to dabble in subjects far beyond her my intellectual capacity: art, culture, design, fashion, photography, and music. Other than reading Vogue and Vanity Fair cover-to-cover, Kelsey enjoys frequenting the blogosphere, speaking franglais in daily conversation, and laughing at her own pathetic jokes. Feel free to email her with any questions or comments.