Get Super Bowl Smart: A Collegiette’s Guide to Super Bowl XLVI

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Watching football may not be on every collegiette’s™ list of fun things to do on a Sunday night, but the Super Bowl is different. There are hilarious Doritos commercials, cute quarterbacks and yummy game-day snacks to munch on—what’s not to love? Let’s face it: it’s more of a social gathering than a sporting event.

Ok, so maybe you still aren’t convinced. That’s where HC comes in. Here are our top 5 reasons to watch Super Bowl XLVI (aka 46) next Sunday!

It’s Party Time!

That’s right, on Super Bowl Sunday you not only watch the game, but you watch it with friends, food and, for those 21 and over, beer (or wine, if you prefer). Even if you don’t watch the game, who’s going to pass up a party on a Sunday? Come for the party, stay for the game.

Eli Manning vs. Tom Brady.

You decide who’s cuter! Put it this way: if you’re the kind of girl who roots for the team with the cutest quarterback, you certainly won’t be disappointed either way. Sorry, ladies! Both are happily married with children.

Ridiculously Funny Commercials.

Usually commercial breaks suck. No one actually watches TV for the commercials … except on Super Bowl Sunday. Millions of people tune in to see what kind of hilarious ad campaign companies like Budweiser, GoDaddy.com and Pepsi will come up with this year. (I’ve seen a preview of the Doritos ads. Here’s a hint: flying babies. Not kidding.)
 [pagebreak]

The Halftime Show!

No, there isn’t a marching band. No, there isn’t a flag corps or drill team or whatever they call it. Instead, they pull out all the stops to entertain audiences across the country—and around the world—and this year is no exception. Madonna will take the stage in Indianapolis, along with rumored guest performers Cee Lo Green, LMFAO and Nicki Minaj.

Social Convention …

I’m a big fan of The Big Bang Theory, and Sheldon Cooper is constantly acceding to peer pressure when it comes to partaking in socially conventional activities (i.e. buying Leonard a birthday present). Put it this way: if you don’t watch the big game, you are going to be way out of the loop come Monday morning when all anyone can talk about is who won, how funny that commercial with the dogs was and Madonna’s strip tease that makes the Janet Jackson scandal look PG. Moral of the story: watch the game.

If you haven’t already figured it out, I’ll most definitely be tuning in to the big game on Sunday, Febuary 5—and rocking my blue and red. Can you guess which team I’m cheering for?

*Photography by Morgan Harbert

Jackie Swoyer is a rising senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Business and Enterprise Management, concentrating in Marketing and minoring in Economics. While her collegiate years have been spent in the Carolinas, this aspiring marketer currently calls Cincinnati, Ohio home...although she has spent years moving all over the country and beyond (including a five year period in Europe!). She is currently prepping for a summer internship in the Frito Lay Marketing Division in Plano, Texas, a new stop on her geographical repertoire. An avid reader of all things Her Campus, Jackie also loves to write, listen to Pandora, practice her cooking skills, and find live music anywhere she can.