Get Ready for the Hunger Games’ Upcoming Film: Catching Fire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

For over a year now, collegiettes have been waiting for the sequel of the hit blockbuster The Hunger Games. On November 22nd, this well-anticipated film will be released in movie theaters nationwide. Why exactly is this movie so popular? Well, let’s have a quick recap.

This movie is based off of the novel by Suzanne Collins. It is set in the future, in a large territory called Panem. The land is divided into 12 districts, the 12th being where our heroine, Katniss Everdeen, is from. Every year, a boy and a girl are randomly selected to participate in the Hunger Games. During this event, the 24 total children are forced to kill each other until only one remains as the victor. The first novel/movie shares the story of Katniss and her embarks in this twisted game, as she defends herself from danger, deals with love problems, and remains strong for her home district.

Again, why do people love it? First of all, Katniss, played by the talented Jennifer Lawrence, captured the audience’s heart during her last performance. She isn’t the typical hero who has outstanding abilities and power (unless you mention her awesome archery skills). Instead, she is just an assertive teenager who risks her life for her family—a very heroic deed indeed. Along with Katniss, the audience is also crazy about the boys—Peeta and Gale. These boys are the complete opposite of one another. Peeta is quiet and reserved, and who ends up being partner tribute with Katniss. Gale, her best friend, is strong and outspoken. Both have special places in her heart, which could end up in a complicated love triangle. Thirdly, the overall concept of the novels/movies is interesting and “new” in terms of popular media. Its futuristic setting, warped social and political structures, and sense of adventure add interest and suspense. It adds a new take to popular media, which leads to an ever-so-increasing number of viewers and readers.

So moving on the sequel Catching Fire… What is there to know about this upcoming movie? It opens up back at District 12 with Katniss. It’s been some time after her and Peeta’s victory. However, another event that could risk their lives once more comes up: the Quarter Quell. Every 25 years, all of the victors from that period of time gather together to participate in a similar form of the Hunger Games. And just like the Hunger Games, there can only be one winner. Katniss and Peeta may not luck out this time.

With a new movie, comes new settings and actors. Unlike the last movie, which was all set in North Carolina (fun fact!), this movie is mainly set in New Jersey and Oahu, Hawaii. The arena of the Quarter Quell has a beachy and tropical setting, so watch out for that. The movie should reveal more about the different districts and dive deeper into the Capitol. New characters will be introduced—primarily Plutarch Heavensbee, Johanna Mason, and the extremely-handsome Finnick Odair. Plutarch, the new gamemaker (recall what happened to the first one), is now in charge of the Quarter Quell, and played by Philip Seymour Hoffman. Watch out for this character, because he is more elaborate than one should think.

Johanna Mason, played by Jena Malone, is a previous Hunger Games victor, who is difficult competition for Katniss. Her cunning and sly behavior is the key to her survival. Who knows what to expect from this girl. Finnick Odair, a handsome man in his 20s, also plays a former tribute who participates in the Quarter Quell. For those who read the book, he is supposedly known as the best-looking character in the novel. However, it is not his looks who led to his victory, but rather his fighting abilities and swiftness. He also seems to play a charm on Katniss, and they end up becoming allies. Looks like we will have a new heartthrob in this franchise. I also don’t want to spoil anything, but supposedly the Katniss/Peeta and Katniss/Gale love triangle may be brought up at some point in the movie. I can only assume it would happen, so be sure to keep an eye out for that.

For those who haven’t read the novels, or watched the first one, I suggest to at least catch up and watch The Hunger Games. If you’re into adventure and suspense, then this should definitely capture your interest. Plus, who doesn’t love a strong heroine, a good cast, and attractive male actors? 

Stay tuned for this upcoming movie. Early reviews of this film have called it riveting and exciting. To play off the popular quote, may the odds be ever in its favor…

Wake Forest Chapter of Her Campus
Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.