Get to Know Winston-Salem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

For many of us collegiettes, Winston-Salem is what we now call home. If you grew up in The Big Apple or on Capitol Hill, W-S may not seem like the most hip or trendy place for twenty-somethings to reside in, but at Her Campus, we know that Winston has some hidden gems. If you’ve yet to venture out beyond the forest, or are sick of Thursday nights at Last Resort, don’t fret! Here’s your guide to making the MOST of Winston-Salem!

Do you enjoy spending time outdoors? If you answered yes, throw on your hiking boots and head about thirty miles north of Winston-Salem to Hanging Rock. With five waterfalls and countless scenic overlooks, this outdoor destination is sure to leave you in awe. Plus, it’s fall y’all! So bundle up and embark to see some changing leaves in the crisp, cool weather. And when it warms up again in the spring, be sure to check out the Dan River, about forty minutes from campus. From Memorial Day to Labor day, you can float down on a tube with a drink in hand. It’s a great way to spend a stress-free Saturday!

*Image from Awaken Winston

Heading downtown, Aperture Cinema, located on Fourth Street, shows a number of indie and foreign films and documentaries each night, as well as matinees on the weekends. With Mellow Mushroom next door and Mooney’s Mediterranean Café down the street, Aperture is a great opportunity to stray from the usual routine, and grab a bite before seeing a film with friends.

*Image from Infinite Legroom

As for the bar scene, both Tate’s and Foothills offer a unique atmosphere with a number of exotic drinks. From Whiskey Wednesdays to Trivia Night, these Fourth Street hot spots will have enough going on to keep you entertained for hours! After a while, wander on over to the Old Winston Social Club on Burke Street. This West End bar has a number of games to keep you entertained, from darts and shuffleboard to Jenga, and it’s dog friendly! If you’re looking to change things up, Ziggy’s, located on West Ninth Street, hosts a number of concerts year-round! While many Wake students have only been here for Airbands, this great venue has also housed bands such as Passion Pit and Slightly Stoopid. Check their calendar online for upcoming events. With this many options, you’ll never be bored!

*Image from The Reynolda House 

Although it may seem cliché, I must include Reynolda House! The museum itself is beautiful to walk through, but it also hosts a number of unique exhibitions. Now through December 8th, they are housing “Things Wondrous & Humble,” an exhibition with a number of beautiful American still life paintings. During the holidays, the museum is garnished with decorations and a Christmas tree, and has an organist playing carols on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday afternoons. It’s a short distance from campus, so run or walk over any day!

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.