The Funniest Interview We’ve Ever Done: Caroline Drew

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

In honor of the Lilting Banshees’ performances TONIGHT (at 8 and 10 pm), we decided to sit down with the Assistant Director of the group, senior Caroline Drew: a member of Greek life, a tour guide, a former Hit-the-Bricks co-chair and a Hydrating Humanitate co-chair. In the midst of all this (and Banshee practice), she found time to interview for Campus Celebrity, and crack us up in the process!

HC: Can you tell us about your leadership position in the group?

CD: My position in the Banshees is assistant director – or, as the other Banshees so lovingly call me “Ass. Director” or “Ass. Mom.” My duties mainly include helping our director –Robert Simms – lead the troupe. This means organizing rehearsals, deciding what sketch ideas get written on, casting the show, and so on.  It’s difficult to describe a leadership position in the troupe because everyone gives so much in order to make a show happen.  The biggest bulk of the work required is the writing and rehearsing and if every troupe member didn’t commit themselves to these extremely time-consuming meetings we would sink.  I suppose the most important role of assistant director (who am I kidding, Ass. Mom) and Director alike would be creating an environment for the troupe that encourages attendance, fosters creativity, and shows appreciation to everyone involved.

HC: What has been the best part about being in Banshees?

CD:  If I’m being honest, it’s the people (the Banshee people, not the groupie people). It’s difficult for me to choose the words to truly say just how much I am thankful for the past and present members of this troupe.  When I came to Wake I don’t think I even knew what a sketch comedy troupe was. I certainly didn’t think I would join one. And never would I have guessed the relationships it would give to me.

Being in the Banshees is like being in a secret society that was too loud and goofy to keep it a secret; it’s like being adopted into Von Trapp family if all the Von Trapps were between the ages of 18 and 22 and no one sang but everyone had at least one 4/20 joke in their repertoire.  Being in Banshees is like being brought into the most loving, tightest-knit group of friends who, as a bonus, make you laugh all the time.  I love them very much and the only way I will be able to leave them in May is because I know they are my friends for life.

Then again, I guess my answer would have to be the mandatory khaki pants and white button downs. I’ve never looked sexier.

HC: Speaking of graduation, do you see yourself working in comedy after graduation?

CD: Yes and no.  Realistically, I don’t imagine I will be hired to a comedic writing or performing position immediately after post-grad…that is, unless SNL producers come across this article and realize my irresistible wit and invaluable humor must be hired right away! If that doesn’t happen, I am looking into other fields for my day job and hope to take part in comedic improv and stand up at night. 

I am completely open to whatever my future in comedy might look like. It could be that I seriously pursue a career in the field or it could be that it simply becomes a part of my life that I enjoy but do not prioritize. If you want the truth, I am thrilled at the prospect (the tiny, negative percent prospect) of possibly being a professional comedian one day. But that day, if it exists, is so far off I try not to worry about it too much.

Be sure to buy a ticket for The Banshee’s show…and catch Caroline send us into stitches one more time! 

Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.