Freshmen Problems: Freshman Year Almost Over?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

My freshman year is drawing to a close. I refuse to accept that. This has been the best year of my life; why would I want it to end? I’ve met some of the most amazing people, worked hard, and played hard. I’ve learned more about myself this past year than I have in my whole life, both inside and outside of the classroom – which is what college is all about! To all the incoming freshmen, some advice from me to you:

1.    Your roommate is your first friend, and if you’re lucky, she becomes one of your closest confidants and gives the best advice on literally everything.

2.    Be spontaneous! Keep wiggle room in your schedule for impromptu “family” dinners and going to Ziggy’s to see Snoop Dog on a Thursday night.

3.    Go out on weekday nights! Wake Wednesdays are making a comeback, and you can sleep during the weekend.

4.    Invest in a solid pair of frat shoes. I don’t even want to know what my chucks have picked up over the past two semesters…

5.    Sun dresses are a must for Tailgates, Carolina Cup, and sunny days! They should be a wardrobe staple.

*Photo from thestate.com

6.    Try to get to know everyone you can. Make friends with people in all different kinds of groups – that way, you will always have someone!

7.    Tailgates are a blast. Sun dresses. Bow ties. Red solo cups. It’s a classy way to spend an afternoon and possibly make it into the stadium (my goal for next year is to try to stay past halftime for a game!).

8.    Go to the basketball game against UNC. Because we are better than them. Period.

9.    Ending a presentation or conversation with “Go Deacs” is a thing.

10.  Call your mom. She does miss you, so fill her in on your busy life!

11.  The gym is an awesome place to practice your lip syncing skills while pedaling on the elliptical.

12.  Yes, you can dance. No one cares whether you are good or not; just have fun!

*Photo from thesociallife.com

13.  Chocolate covered almonds and trail mix from the pod are a gift from God.

14.  Take the time to get to know your professors; get coffee with them or chat after class. They are here for you after all!

15.  Try out for something even if you aren’t sure you will make it. I tried out for cheerleading the first weekend of freshman year and didn’t make the team; it didn’t faze me because there were so many other things I could join!

16.  Packages are like a mini-Christmas. There’s something comforting about getting an email from the post office that you have a package – even if you know it’s coming!

17.  Puppies on the Quad will make you smile.

18.  The campus literally shuts down for an inch of snow and calls for a snow day – that’s the south for ya!

19.  You will eventually start saying “y’all.”

20.  …And have to get a weekly milkshake from Cookout.

21.  …And drink Cheerwine. 

22.  Yik Yak can be a reliable source of information.

23.  Rolling the Quad is an awesome way for the administration to encourage us to vandalize the school.

*Photo from wakeforest.tumblr.com

24.  Lovefeast was an incredibly humbling experience. The silence of Wait Chapel as it was packed full of people lighting each other’s candles was heartwarming!

25.  Your Big will actually be the best Big in the world.

26.  Climbing Pilot Mountain is so scenic, and Old Salem is the cutest colonial town – they should be on every Wake student’s bucket list!

27.  Two words: Derby Days!

28.  You will be surprised with how close you get to people here in such a short amount of time.

29.  The year literally flies by in the blink of an eye, which I am really upset about because it has been the best year of my life!

30.  …How am I going to go 3 months without Wake?

*Photo from tumblr.com

As the chapter of my freshman year comes to a close, one thing is for sure: sophomore year has some big shoes to fill!

Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.