Freshman 101: 4 Things EVERY Freshman Girl Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

1. Manage Your Time

Welcome to Work Forest where the coffee is strong, the stress is high, and the deadlines are near. Homework and studying can pile up very easily in college, so learning how to organize your time is vital. Buying a yearly agenda is a great first step to organization. In your agenda, you can write down important dates such as tests, quizzes, and paper deadlines. It is also a good idea to set aside time to study either alone or with a study group, depending on what works best for you! When the stress seems to pile up, take a break to relax, and then get ready to start your work again. Everything will end up okay, and you will make it through – just remember to plan ahead!

2. Dress for a Frat Party

We all love to dress to impress; however, frat basements are not the ideal venue for your favorite preppy sandals and dresses. Stick with cute basics that can be easily cleaned. Trendy tanks and crop tops are always fun options, but make sure your attire is comfortable. You do not want your clothes to distract you from having a good time with friends or a possible chat with the guy you have been checking out all night. When it comes to shoes, inexpensive and closed-toed is the way to go. Let the frat house floors mess up your shoes and not your actual feet because, yes, athlete’s foot does happen. Dedicate a pair of old Chucks or Keds to the cause.

3.  Party (and Hook Up!) Safely

Parties are a major aspect of campus life at almost every college in the country. They can be fun and are a great way to socialize on campus. However, there are dangers that come with college parties. For starters, ALWAYS WATCH YOUR CUP! It is important to keep an eye on your drink at all times.  Accidently drinking out of someone else’s cup (or even a frat cooler that’s been sitting out all night) could get you sick due to illnesses that go around campus. More importantly, you want to be cautious of any unwanted substances in drinks, such as drugs/roofies (or dirt/carpet hair, if you are playing pong). In events like sexual assault, you must remember that consent is ALWAYS required. Never do anything you are not comfortable with. Remember, it is 100% okay to leave a guy’s room (or ask him to leave yours) at any time.  But if anything ever does happen, be aware of all the great resources that are available on campus to help.  Just remember, safety first!

4. Shine on the Dance Floor

Dancing is by the far the most fun of any party. When it comes to dancing, focus on having a good night. It does not matter if you have taken years of dance classes or if you have the coordination of a newborn deer. All that matters is that you are being yourself and having an amazing time. Don’t worry about trying to impress anyone because, truthfully, most people are more focused on their own dancing (and they are probably too hammered to care what you’re doing, anyway). So just have fun with your friends and don’t be afraid to go a little crazy!

*Cover image from gainesvillescene.com.