Four Snapshots You Missed at SFER’s College 101 Event

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

College 101 Day, hosted by SFER (Students For Education Reform), is an annual event that promotes young students to attend college for a brighter future by inviting Old Richmond Elementary fifth graders on a field trip to Wake Forest. SFER members organized events such as speaking to student athletes, hearing panel for scholarships, meeting the Demon Deacon and having lunch outside. 

PRE, PRE-COLLEGE TOUR: During their visit, the fifth graders experienced a tour around campus. This was beneficial because this tour happened before any of them had taken the SAT or ACTS or writing college applications. Sophie Hollis, sophomore and Awareness Director of SFER, said, “We wanted them to see the dorms, the dining hall, the quad, and [others] to see how cool and fun it is to live at school. Our goal was to get them to think about going to college in the future.”

BE HEALTHY, BE EDUCATED: On Davis Field, student athletes shared their college experience both as a student and athlete while the fifth graders enjoyed their lunch meal outside. The athletes described the importance of having the ability to manage their sports and schoolwork with the help of the faculty at Wake and professors.

YOUNG VOICES: While paper graduation caps and diplomas were passed around, the fifth graders brainstormed ideas about what they think they might like to major in along with their future and career goals. Caroline Li, sophomore Communications Director of SFER, said, “It is really fun to see how they decide to decorate their caps, and the huge variety of majors they end up picking, from architecture and education to engineering and English.”

BLACK AND GOLD RUSH: Before heading back to school, the fifth graders met and greeted the Demon Deacon mascot with the hope of becoming future deacs. Kathryn Atkins, junior and Membership and Operations Coordinator, said, “The kids faces completely lit up when he raced into the quad, and they loved high fiving him and dancing with him. We wanted to show the kids that while college is hard work, it is also fun, and the Demon Deacon helped show them how much fun it is to cheer on the deacs at games.” 

Photos courtesy of: Abbey Lockhart

Jacquelyn Hsiao

Wake Forest '20

Jacquelyn is a senior majoring in Economics with an Entrepreneurship minor. Jacquelyn is the President and Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Wake Forest Chapter for two consecutive years. During her free time, she loves to design chic graphics, create trendy polyvore boards and work on other fashion projects. 
Hailing from Chicago, this Midwesterner turned Southern Belle is the Editor-in-Chief of Wake Forest University's chapter. When she isn't journaling for fun in her free time, she is obsessed with running around campus in giant sunglasses, wearing gold glitter eyeliner, and munching on trail mix. She's still struggling on saying "y'all" and not "guys" and has yet to try Cookout's legendary milkshakes. Follow her on twitter @Hmonyek!