Foodie: How to Manage Final’s Stress with Food (the Healthy Way)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Finals are upon us, collegiettes, and we all know what that means: stress and sleep deprivation. Believe it or not, these next couple of weeks can take a pretty serious toll on our health in a variety of ways. Lack of rest hinders our brain and body functions, damages our memory, and prevents us from being the bright, beautiful ladies we all are. These effects, coupled with stress, can make us sick and prevent us from performing well on exams. How can we combat this? Never fear – you can kick finals in the butt and cure stress through eating the right food. I’m not talking about candy, coffee, and the munchies though! Eating and drinking the right foods can help reduce stress and improve the quality of life during finals week better than caffeine pills and 5-hour ENERGY combined.

1.    Nuts (Walnuts, Almonds, Pecans, Cashews)

*Image from naturalhealth365.com

The healthy fats in nuts curb appetite and keep you from craving the salty snacks and saturated fat that weigh you down physically and mentally. They also help regulate hormones in the body, such as cortisol – the hormone our bodies release when we’re stressed. Keeping cortisol levels low is important for avoiding weight loss and other imbalances in the body.

2.    Olive Oil

*Image from italiantribune.com

Olive oil is a monounsaturated fat – a nutrient that is essential for storing energy in our bodies. Studies also show that monounsaturated fats have the ability to slow down the brain’s aging process.

3.    Berries

*Image from fpffest.com

When we stay up into the wee hours of the morning studying, the lack of sleep weakens our bodies and makes us more susceptible to infection. However, berries have antioxidants, along with other vitamins and nutrients, that are needed to strengthen our immune systems. Berries also regulate blood sugar, and even help the parts of the brain that control memory. The last thing we want is to be sick during finals, so eat up!

4.    Green Tea

*Image from brewwhatyoulove.com

It is nearly impossible to make it through finals without some source of caffeine (and for those of you who can manage without a single milligram – all power to you). Green tea is, by far, a better choice than coffee to satisfy our caffeine needs. It boosts our energy but also has antioxidant powers that help us fight infection. Other plant-based nutrients in green tea help to cleanse our bodies, manage stress and fatigue, and improve memory and concentration. It’s a no-brainer – drinking this stuff during finals could help you be well and do well.

5.    Dark Chocolate

*Image from marksdailyapple.com

Rumors have been flying around for years that dark chocolate is a health food; it’s time to believe them! Dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants and also contains caffeine to help us manage our energy levels. The specific antioxidants in dark chocolate benefit our bodies even further by improving blood flow to the brain, regulating cholesterol, and keeping blood pressure low. Looks like we may be able to get away with a little extra dessert, huh?

6.     Spinach

*Image from everyday-vegetarian-recipes.com

Since we were little kids, we’ve been told that spinach is really good for us. Mom wasn’t lying – spinach contains antioxidants that stabilize our abilities to think and concentrate over long periods of time.

7.    Water

*Image from losinginthecity.com

It’s always important to hydrate your body, especially when you are suffering from stress and a lack of sleep. Water flushes out toxins in the body, extra stress hormones, and other yucky extras we don’t want or need. Additionally, dehydration actually shrinks our brains and prevents us from thinking and remembering information as well as we should. Drinking enough water improves short-term memory, focus, and reasoning skills.

8.    Eggs

*Image from globe-views.com

The lean protein in eggs keeps us satiated and gives our bodies the energy we need to function throughout a long day of studying. Contrary to popular belief, the yolk is just as beneficial as the white. Sure, there’s cholesterol in it, but our bodies need cholesterol, and there are other important nutrients in an egg yolk too. Fatty acids in the yolk help lower blood pressure just like the fatty acids in fish do. These fatty acids are important, because when we’re short on sleep, our blood pressure increases.

Healthspiration!

Here are some examples of how to integrate these foods easily into your daily meal routine, and hopefully feel the healing effects of healthy eating to stimulate your brain and mitigate sleep deprivation!

Breakfast: Omelet cooked in olive oil with spinach and feta cheese; mixed berries; cup of coffee and/or green tea

Lunch: Spinach salad with strawberries, walnuts, parmesan cheese, cucumbers, and vinaigrette made with olive oil and red wine (or balsamic) vinegar

Snack: Mixed nuts (including walnuts); cup of green tea

Dinner: Grilled salmon with garlicky sautéed spinach and brown rice

Dessert: Berries drizzled in dark chocolate; dark chocolate covered nuts; or just some plain dark chocolate, because who can go wrong with chocolate!?

**Also, make sure you drink enough water throughout the day (9 cups a day is the recommended intake for the average woman!).

Good Luck on your exams, collegiettes!

Sources:

http://watchfit.com/diet/good-food-for-lack-of-sleep/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/23/brain-food-superfoods_n_1895328.html

*Cover image from zastavki.com

Lily Roberts

Wake Forest

Born and raised on the North Shore of Massachusetts, Lily Roberts has been an avid writer and reader since elementary school. Over the years, she has become very interested in blogs, and wants to one day write her own. She is a true foodie, obsessed with cooking and eating, and is also into fashion. Her dream job has always been to be the editor in chief if a fashion or food magazine. As of now, she is a happy first-year at Wake Forest University, waiting to discover where college takes her.
Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.