Foodie: The Best Overnight Oats Recipe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Welcome back, collegiettes! I trust your first couple weeks back have been filled with the hustle and bustle of catching up with old friends, scoping out cute boys, and sucking up to whichever professors took syllabus week a little too seriously. But, if you’re anything like me you are probably missing those carefree, relaxing summer days just a tad bit.

Even more importantly, you’re probably daydreaming about the easy access to a kitchen stocked with food and the freedom to eat more than what is sitting under those heat lamps in the pit.

So, I’ve set out to find little ways to enjoy food straight from my dorm room.

My first quest: overnight oats. This is the perfect ready-to-go breakfast (and even mid-day snack) that keeps you full and energized for hours. There are plenty of recipes out there, but with a few tweaks, I’ve come up with one oatmeal recipe that is especially convenient for those living in tight, small dorms.

Basic Overnight Oats (single serving)

Main ingredients:

• 1/3 cup quick rolled oats
  • 1/3 milk
  • 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • Optional add-ins:
  • 1/2 tbsp. chia seeds (my personal favorite)
  • 1/2 banana
  • 2 tbsp coconut flakes
  • 2 tbsp chopped nuts
  • 2 tbsp dried fruit
  • handful of fresh berries

Stir everything together, leave in the fridge overnight, and it’s ready to go in the morning! The best part is that you can experiment with an endless amount of add-ins. My favorite combination so far has been adding in chia seeds, chopped walnuts, and dried cranberries. Or you can mix it up by using almond milk, coconut milk, or even a different flavor of yogurt. If you choose to throw in a lot of add-ins, be sure to add a little more milk to keep the consistency.

Happy (healthy) eating!

*Recipe adapted from here.