Foodie: 5 Festive Cookie Ideas for the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

The leaves have fallen and the temperature is quickly following – Christmas is in the air. As pumpkin spice is replaced with peppermint mocha, the spirit of the holidays is ringing through the streets to the tune of Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas Is You.” Sweaters, stockings, snow, and sweets. What says Christmas better than a plate of cookies left by the chimney with care, in hopes that St. Nicholas soon will be there? Whether they’re recipes passed down for generations or your latest Pinterest find, one of the best ways to spread the holiday spirit is through homemade cookies. Here are my five favorites to try this holiday:

1. Sugar Cookies

How can you go through the holiday season without a batch of these festive treats? They’re a simple signature cookie that can be dressed up or down. Through some red and green sugar sprinkles into the dough to add some quick and easy Christmas cheer, or get fancy with some holiday-shaped cookie cutters and Royal Icing. Either way, these well-loved classics are sure to please.

2. Chocolate Mint Bar Cookies

Starbucks had it right when they decided to mix these two. This classic flavor combination screams Christmas. And made in bar form, they’re easy to bake in bulk to share with the masses.

3. Seven Layer Bars

These ones are simple- throw the ingredients into a pan and pop it straight in the oven. No mixing required. Chocolate, butterscotch, coconut, chopped walnuts, and sweetened condensed milk poured over a crushed graham-cracker crust held together with a bit of melted butter. And the clean-up is easy so you can spend extra time sharing with the fam.

4. Gingerbread

You can’t have Christmas without Gingerbread. Bake it yourself to fill your home with the spicy scents of cinnamon, ginger, and cloves, or pick some up from a local bakery. Even better – get festive by building your own gingerbread house; it’s a classic way to get into the Christmas spirit.

5. M&M Cookies

Everyone loves chocolate chip, but they don’t always feel festive. So why not replace the standard chips with red and green M&M’s? Please the picky eaters with a classic cookie that has a Christmas twist – the colors make all the difference.

The holiday season is all about sharing love, memories, and treats with family and friends. With these five cookie ideas, you are sure to keep loved ones anxiously awaiting the culinary delights of next year’s holiday season. And with that, happy baking to all, and to all a good night.

*Article by Kelly Andrew

*Cover image from happyholidays2016.com

Wake Forest Chapter of Her Campus