Foodie: The 5 Best Pre-Workout Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Collegiettes, it’s beginning to feel like that time of year again. You know, the time when you’re getting back into that awful but oh-so-delicious habit of late night snacking and extra “I deserve this” snacks, but hey, bikini season’s over, right? If you’re anything like me, you’re deciding to go check out the gym right about now to see if anything has changed since last semester. What better way to start off your new workout routine than with the perfect pre-workout snack? So, here are five of the best pre-workout snacks per my research:

1. Bananas

Bananas are made up of simple carbohydrates, which are easy to digest and supply the body with quick energy. Also, the potassium they contain helps maintain muscle function.

2. Caffeine

Coffee and green tea may be some of the best things you can consume before a workout. The caffeine they contain helps to increase the amount of fat your body uses to produce energy and prevents you from tiring out easily because of the energy they generate.

3. Whole grain bread

A slice or two of whole grain bread provides you’re body with carbohydrates, which help increase your energy. You can also top it with some peanut butter for a tasty boost of protein.

4. Greek yogurt

Greek yogurt is preferred to regular yogurt because it typically has more protein and less sugar. It is also another great source of protein that will help prevent muscle damage. It can be topped with berries, too, which have carbs that can be broken down quickly.

5. Dried fruit

Another quick and easy option is dried berries or raisins. They are light on your stomach and can provide energy quickly.

Quick Tips: Avoid fatty foods that could cause you to cramp up while working out. Also, don’t eat anything that’s high in sugar, which could result in a sugar crash.

Be sure to leave at least 45 minutes between eating and working out to allow your body to fully digest.

Happy eating (and getting fit)!

*Cover image from angrytrainerfitness.com