Fashion in the Forest: transitioning winter clothes to spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

The key to dressing for spring weather is to layer, particularly in North Carolina where in the morning it can be cold and then 70 degrees by mid-afternoon. To combat this, there are three main tactics: One, have a wardrobe change around lunch –  this is sometimes a pain, but can also be the best option, especially if you have a class at 8 a.m. and then at 2 p.m. Two, wear lots of thin layers that you can gradually remove throughout the day. This works really well, but can be awkward if you have to carry said layers all the way across campus. Three, combine your winter and summer wardrobes. So lets tackle each one of these and discuss some ideas!

All right, so if you want to have a wardrobe change, don’t be embarrassed. It gives you the chance to show off two awesome outfits instead of just one and many times is the most comfortable option. The key is timing because you don’t want to be wearing huge sweater and boots when it’s sunny and 65. I would recommend changing if you have a break somewhere between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. For your first outfit, I would just keep rocking what you’ve been wearing all winter. Maybe incorporate some more pastels and neon to make the look more “summery.” For your afternoon outfit, it really depends on what you are doing, but I think that anything bright or floral is perfect because it really starts to get you in the mood for the seasonal changes.  

If you’re not feeling the outfit change, that’s totally cool; it’s not the thing for everyone. Instead, try layering. During the colder part of winter, you want to focus on thicker layers, but during spring, it is better to mix thinner layers. Pull out some of your summer clothes and throw on a cardigan and a scarf and a jean jacket over it. You can discard layers over the course of the day, and still not loose the integrity of your outfit. The key to pulling off this look is to either go boho with long, loose, neutral layers or put together a bright outfit that works well together, but still looks cute as you lose layers.

The final tactic you can use is to mix your summer and winter wardrobes. This is kind of ambiguous so let me give you some examples. I think the easiest way to do this is to grab a sweater and pair it with shorts, a skirt, or over a sundress/maxi dress. Then you still look fun and “springy”, but you are also still warm. Another easy thing to do is put on a dress with a cardigan and boots and then put a knit scarf on top of it. For me, it is always important to avoid looking like a puffed-up snowman, so I go for streamline layers and flowy dresses and then big knit cardigans.

I think the most important think about transition to spring is moving out of that winter mindset, especially in terms of color. I am more of a jewel tone color person myself and during spring, it is important to include brighter, happy colors. If you are having trouble transitioning, start with a winter outfit you liked and ditch the coat and trade the boots for flats or oxfords. 

Taylor Curry

Wake Forest

Hello all! My name is Taylor and I am a junior here at Wake. I am so excited about writing for Her Campus again this semester and check out my Fashion in the Forest blog posts every other week. Also check out the Fashion in the Forest Pinterest page or email me at hcfashionintheforest@gmail.com!
Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.