Fashion in the Forest: how to wear scarves in fun and interesting ways

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Scarves are awesome and a vital part for everyone’s winter wardrobe; but, you may wonder, is there a way to wear them more creatively than just throwing them over your jacket? Let me tell you, the answer is yes!

Tip 1: The Bow Tie Scarf
Don’t get stuck in a rut with only one type of scarf, wearing it the exact same way. The bow tie scarf is a completely transformative way to tie a scarf! It can really make an outfit appear more feminine and help you feel cute even when you are bundled up. Check out Fashion in the Forest’s Pinterest Page for more unique scarf options!

Tip 2: Spice it up with patterns 
Scarves are an awesome way to experiment with mixing patterns. You’re not committing to an overwhelming patterned piece of apparel, just a scarf! Try it like this girl with a floral scarf and striped shirt, the scarf adds an element of flair without overtaking the outfit.  

Tip 3: Be bold and bulky
Don’t discount bigger scarves as too bulky! Having a huge scarf not only keeps you warm, but can also make an awesome fashion statement paired with a simple sweater or a feminine outfit you are trying to edge up. Remembering patterns, I think that plaid is a fabulous pattern for a scarf, especially when paired with a neutral-colored sweater. However, cheetah print or other fun patterns are also good to help you mix up your wardrobe a little bit!

To wrap up:  Don’t let a scarf take over your outfit, own that scarf! Use these warm accessories to spice up your outfits this fall and winter. Try and branch out from that generic style of just wrapping the scarf around your neck once or looping it around. Throw that thing around until you can’t see your neck or just wear it loose without tying it!

Experiment! I know I say that a lot, but that is the whole point of getting dressed every morning- to try something new and really show off who you are through your outfits. Y’all got this! Stay awesome and stylish and don’t forget to email me at hcfashionintheforest@gmail.com if you have any suggestions, comments, or questions! 

Taylor Curry

Wake Forest

Hello all! My name is Taylor and I am a junior here at Wake. I am so excited about writing for Her Campus again this semester and check out my Fashion in the Forest blog posts every other week. Also check out the Fashion in the Forest Pinterest page or email me at hcfashionintheforest@gmail.com!
Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.