Fashion in the Forest: How To Wear Leather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Any fashion-obsessed collegiette knows that one of this season’s most popular trends is leather.  Wearing leather can be intimidating for some because it’s such a bold statement. However, I’ve got y’all covered! Here are just a few ways to incorporate leather into your wardrobe. With these tips you’re sure to make a bold fashion statement and look amazing.

Start small

Start with the basics: leather boots look great with everything and a leather bag is always a great statement. Try a sweater with leather elbow patches or paneling like this one from J. Crew.  Leather pockets are also a subtle way to wear leather on a sweater, button down, or regular t-shirt. Leather accents, like the pocket of this cardigan from Urban Outfitters, is also an easy way to integrate the fabric into your wardrobe.

Now that you’re getting comfortable with leather, try a bolder look.  Wear a leather jacket with a pair of jeans and motorcycle boots for a more casual look. This lighter shade from Lucky Brand is eye catching and it goes with nearly every pair of jeans. Or, possibly wear the jacket over a dress. Combining a feminine dress with a rough leather jacket is a bold statement that is sure to get a lot of attention.

Go Bold

Go big or go home: it’s time for leather pants, skirts, and tops.  Leather bottoms are definitely intimidating, but easier to wear then you’d think. Even if you still have reservations, you can try these pants from J. Crew (they only have paneling down the side).

To make it easier, consider leather pants the equivalent to regular black jeans and it instantly becomes easier to put an outfit together. A simple white shirt is always a cute option with leather bottoms.  Keep your outfit simple and add a statement necklace and ballet flats and you have a fashionable outfit that’s easy to throw on when you’re in a hurry. Leather dresses are always an option too. This one from Urban Outfitters had a lot of leather accents, however, if you’re looking to get a super unique option, they sell full leather dresses online too! 

Although it can be tough to begin wearing leather, it is actually very versatile and a great way to spice up an outfit. Remember to get creative with your options! You can wear it as pants, a shirt, a jacket, boots or just an accessory item. However you choose to wear it, make sure you’re comfortable and you’re sure to rock it. 

Hey collegiettes! I'm Arianna and I am a freshman at Wake Forest University. I love all things preppy, but also like to incorporate trends into my wardrobe. I plan to major in communications and possibly minor in French. I can't wait to begin my Her Campus career and hope you enjoy my blog posts!
Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.