Fashion in the Forest: How to Wear Denim on Denim

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Chambray and other forms of denim have been popular for a while now, but how do you wear a chambray with jeans? Is denim on denim a cute look or a tacky 90s trend? Here are some tips on how to rock this new trend for summer 2014.

Tip 1 – Mix it Up: When wearing a lot of denim, the easiest tip is to wear different shades. Wear head to toe denim, but avoid one continuous shade to create variety. This also prevents the denim jumpsuit look, which is cute, but only when it’s on purpose.

Tip 2Light and Dark: Wear a dark denim shirt with white jeans. This is a great way to dress up denim and look very classy. This is also a great transitional outfit for spring or fall! So pull out your white jeans and try out this look.

Tip 3Try a Pattern: For summer, try patterned jean shorts and a solid chambray. Or you could switch it and wear a patterned chambray shirt and solid denim shorts. For this outfit, it would be ok to wear similar shades of denim because of the pattern. I would also recommend wearing clean shorts and not cut-offs. Cut-offs are awesome, but you will be rocking the “Daisy Dukes” look if you are wearing all denim and chambray :) Also, rock this look like Miranda Kerr with a topknot and flats!

Tip 4Dress it Down: Wear dark jeans, booties, and a chambray as a cardigan. This is a great laid-back look for spring or fall. It looks cute and casual, but still nice! Wearing a chambray as a cardigan makes them very versatile. If you don’t want to wear denim on denim, try a chambray as a cardigan over a maxi dress or sundress for a cute summer look.

Tip 5Dress it Up: Wear a light denim shirt tucked into dark wash skinny jeans. This is a great every day look, but also very easy to dress up. Cuff the jeans and add bright colored shoes for a more exciting look. Pair the look with a braid for a sleek, but fun look.

The stark contrast in denim shades is really what makes this look work, with or without the shoes. So make sure your denim colors are different.

Tip 6Try a Jean Skirt: Jean skirts are making a come back so mix up the style by making an all denim outfit. Again, keep the denim shades different and add a pop of color either through your shoes or jewelry. If you don’t want to try the denim on denim look, tucking a chambray shirt into any type of skirt with fun shoes and jewelry is always a good idea.

Taylor Curry

Wake Forest

Hello all! My name is Taylor and I am a junior here at Wake. I am so excited about writing for Her Campus again this semester and check out my Fashion in the Forest blog posts every other week. Also check out the Fashion in the Forest Pinterest page or email me at hcfashionintheforest@gmail.com!
Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.