Fall Festivities: Apples… and Pumpkins!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Fall is my favorite time of year, hands down.  I love the colorful leaves, the brisk weather, and the assortment of activities that come with the season.  So, typical me, I had to add some of these activities – making caramel apples and carving pumpkins – to my fall to-do list. 

Over the past few weekends, I have recruited friends to keep me company.  The caramel apples proved to be a relatively easy treat to make, although messy to eat.  Carving the pumpkins proved to be an even more difficult task. 

I tried to use a little plastic pumpkin carving tool set, and within the first five minutes managed to break both of the little flimsy knives.  So my recommendation is to buy real kitchen knives; while they are too big to do intricate designs, they definitely get the job done. 

Note: I would not recommend real knives if you are carving pumpkins with a small child, such as your little sister from Big Brothers Big Sisters as some of my friends did. 

Kelsey Garvey is a junior English major at Wake Forest University. Her upbringing in Connecticut, otherwise known as country club land, inspired her to write in order to escape and locate something more. Writing has also acted as her outlet to dabble in subjects far beyond her my intellectual capacity: art, culture, design, fashion, photography, and music. Other than reading Vogue and Vanity Fair cover-to-cover, Kelsey enjoys frequenting the blogosphere, speaking franglais in daily conversation, and laughing at her own pathetic jokes. Feel free to email her with any questions or comments.