Culture > News

From Emotional Intelligence to a Delectable Treat: Here Are Five Incentives To Get Your COVID-19 Vaccine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Just a little over a year since the COVID-19 pandemic took over our lives, the vaccine for the virus is widely available. On April 19th, President Biden announced that every American 16 and older is eligible to get the vaccine, with the Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson vaccines approved by the FDA and recommended by the CDC. Below are five incentives to get your vaccine if you haven’t already:

1. You can not only sing the song “Mask Off” by Future, but you could actually live it. The more people who are fully vaccinated, the less we will need to wear our masks to stop the spread. Less mask-wearing takes a little out of your laundry routine and adds the ability for us to see others’ lovely smiles again. The WFU Dance Company, as advised by medical experts, believes that dancers will be able to practice and perform without masks in our spaces next fall, treating our rehearsals like the football and basketball games this season, in which players were allowed on their fields and courts without masks. I am hesitant to make the promise that you can throw away your masks, especially because I believe they will still be extremely useful during future cold and flu seasons, but their presence may soon be significantly diminished.

2. It is an excuse to take a rest day! Even though I have a phobia of needles, I will be the first to tell you the shot is entirely painless. However, you may feel some side effects afterward. This is nothing to worry about, it is just your body building protection. Use this as an opportunity to skip class (and let your professors know the first or second dose has wiped you out), turn on Netflix, and rejuvenate before the impending doom of finals week begins.

3. Are you not tired of living in constant fear? I feel as though my shoulders have been perpetually tense since last March and anxious thoughts have been running rampant in my mind at track star paces. But since becoming fully vaccinated, I have finally been able to take some deep breaths. My vaccine status allows for indoor dining experiences with minimal concern, unmasking around other vaccinated friends and family, and less fear surrounding how my mistakes could be detrimental to my entire community.

4. Vaccines are starting to be required for activities like school or travel. Wake Forest announced on April 20th its intent to require vaccination for Fall 2021. The European Union is also planning on allowing American tourists who are vaccinated to visit this summer, according to an interview with the New York Times. That means if you are planning on enrolling in classes next semester or want to hop on a plane this summer, go get your shot!

5. Saving the best for last, Krispy Kreme is giving out free glazed donuts to anyone and everyone who is vaccinated! All you have to do is show proof of your vaccination record, and then a “hot now” donut will be in your possession within seconds. This promotion lasts until the end of 2021, so the vaccine basically allows you a free daily donut. What further incentives could you need? 

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/25/world/europe/american-travel-to-europe.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Emily Hellwig

Wake Forest '23

My name is Emily Hellwig and I am a junior from Lexington, Virginia. I am Politics and International Affairs major with minors in Communication and Spanish, pursuing a career in Public Relations. I am a redhead with a soul, avid feminist, and lover of Pepsi, the deacs, dancing, and podcasts (in that order).
Taylor Knupp

Wake Forest '21

Taylor is a senior from Harrisburg, PA studying Business and Enterprise Management. She is the outgoing Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus at WFU. Taylor plans to move to New York City after graduation to work as a Business Analyst at Verizon.