This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Early Wednesday morning as I walked to class, I passed rows and rows of clean, white desks covering the quiet Mag Quad. By the end of the day, the desks (and students) were splashed with color, music was playing, people were chatting and children were romping around in the grass. Every spring, the Mag Quad is filled with these sights and sounds. Discovering Education through Student Knowledge (D.E.S.K.) is an annual tradition here at Wake Forest. Organizations and groups across campus assemble teams to paint desks for local children. This year, 57 students from Old Town Elementary received brightly colored and carefully designed desks. The weather was perfect and the turnout wonderful – yet another successful D.E.S.K. celebration!

Kelsey Garvey is a junior English major at Wake Forest University. Her upbringing in Connecticut, otherwise known as country club land, inspired her to write in order to escape and locate something more. Writing has also acted as her outlet to dabble in subjects far beyond her my intellectual capacity: art, culture, design, fashion, photography, and music. Other than reading Vogue and Vanity Fair cover-to-cover, Kelsey enjoys frequenting the blogosphere, speaking franglais in daily conversation, and laughing at her own pathetic jokes. Feel free to email her with any questions or comments.