Dancing with Alexa Modica

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

In light of the upcoming dance recital this weekend, Her Campus thought we should talk to sophomore Alexa Modica, who is a member of Wake Forest’s Dance Company. Between classes, Alexa finds time to take part in her sorority’s events and pursue her passion — dance!

HC: How long have you been involved in the dance company at Wake Forest? What is it like?

AM: I’ve been in dance company since my first semester at Wake and it was so great to meet friends right away, especially older girls that seemed so intimidating in other settings. This semester I’m in three dances for the fall show, which required two-hour rehearsals three times a week, plus the dance technique class that company members are required to take. It can be a lot of time and energy, but it’s better than going to the gym! The spring semester show is student choreography, which is so laid back and fun hanging out with your friends in rehearsal. I’m hoping to choreograph a dance this spring.

HC: How long have you been dancing?

AM: I’ve been dancing since I was about three, but I started focusing seriously on ballet in middle school. I decided against a professional dance career, but I wanted to continue pursuing it in college, since I still love it so much.

HC: What would you say is the most rewarding part of being involved in the dance company?

AM: Dance Company is awesome because it’s a giant family. We spend so much time together around show time that it’s a great bonding experience. The company director Nina Lucas is also the coolest and makes it so fun for everybody.

HC: Dance company sounds like a lot of hard work! When will we have the opportunity to see our Campus Celebrity dancing on stage?

AM: The show runs this Thursday – Saturday at 7:30 and Sunday at 2:00 at Scales. We love having our friends in the audience so everyone come! Sold out shows are the most fun for us so buy tickets! 

The only thing Her Campus is more excited for than the Dance Company show this weekend, is to see what Alexa has in store for us in her choreographed dance in the spring show! Be sure to support Alexa this weekend and buy tickets!

Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.