Cute but Classy Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

“Halloween is the one night a year when girls can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it.”  So said the wise Cady Heron of the cult classic Mean Girls.  But it doesn’t always have to be this way.  If you put “slutty” in front of just about any occupation, you can make a costume: slutty nurse, slutty teacher, slutty school girl.  These days it seems like every Halloween costume is just that: slutty.  But do us girls really want that? Yes it’s fun to dress up and look cute for the boys, but why do we have to degrade ourselves into wearing little to no clothing in order for our costume to be considered a good one.  This year I kept my costumes sexy and fun, but instead of minimizing clothing, I maximized my creativity.  I dressed as Sookie from True Blood on Friday night, and Ke$ha (singer of “Tik Tok” and “Your Love is My Drug”) on Saturday.  Both were so fun to wear, one more classic and simple, the other much crazier (I think I will pretty much have glitter in my hair for the next year).  Other girls also kept it cute but sassy with great ideas inspired by pop culture.  Some included Rachel and Quinn from Glee, Rachel Zoe the celebrity stylist, Sookie Stackhouse from True Blood, and Hermoine from Harry Potter.  Check out these pics below by Liz Keating and Samantha Hess to see cute, fun, and sassy Halloween costumes that kept it classy.

Kelsey Garvey is a junior English major at Wake Forest University. Her upbringing in Connecticut, otherwise known as country club land, inspired her to write in order to escape and locate something more. Writing has also acted as her outlet to dabble in subjects far beyond her my intellectual capacity: art, culture, design, fashion, photography, and music. Other than reading Vogue and Vanity Fair cover-to-cover, Kelsey enjoys frequenting the blogosphere, speaking franglais in daily conversation, and laughing at her own pathetic jokes. Feel free to email her with any questions or comments.