Crowning New Homecoming Royalty with Max Harris and Abby Nowak

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Meet Wake’s 2016 Homecoming King and Queen!

During halftime at Saturday’s game against Army, Max Harris and Abby Nowak won Homecoming King and Queen! Both Max and Abby are great representatives of Wake and are so excited to have been crowned. Keep reading for an inside look into Wake’s newest royalty.

Maximillion Harris

Hometown: Chicago, Illinois

Major and Minors: Politics and International Affairs Major with minors in International Studies and Global Trade and Commerce

Her Campus (HC): Which on campus organization nominated you for homecoming court?

Maximillion Harris (MH): Sigma Chi and Chi Omega.

HC: How did it feel when you won homecoming king?

MH: It was really exciting, shocking, and a weird feeling. It was cool to know that the student body voted for you, and it’s also something unique to add to the resume.

HC: What are you involved in on campus?

MH: Sigma Chi Fraternity.

HC: Do you have any plans for next year?

MH: I want to possibly go into diplomacy, and I’m taking the State Department test in February. I’m also trying to keep my options open and look into full-time jobs and graduate schools.

HC: Are there any fun perks of being homecoming king?

MH: I got to keep the crown, which is cool! Also, Roz at Starbucks always screams “The King, The King, The King” when I walk through. It’s great! It’s also cool being someone that is approachable to people. Random people have come up to me and started a conversation, and that’s been really fun.

HC: What is your favorite Winston-Salem restaurant?

MH: The Porch!

HC: What is your go to meal at the pit?

MH: I almost always get a piece of grilled chicken, some vegetables and maybe some yogurt and granola!

HC: What is your favorite Netflix show to watch?

MH: 24, hands down! I’ve watched all 8 seasons. It used to be on Netflix but they just took it off. They are coming out with a new season with a new main character- I can’t wait.

HC: As a senior, do you have any advice for freshmen?

MH: First of all, I wish I were in their place! But, have fun. Nothing is ever worth stressing about or killing yourself over. Wake is the best place ever, so enjoy it, branch out, and meet different groups of people.

Abby Nowak

Hometown: Mooresville, North Carolina

Major and Minors:  Major in Business Enterprise and Marketing and a minor in Global Trade and Commerce.

Abby Nowak (AN): Alpha Delta Pi Sorority

HC: How did it feel when you won homecoming queen?

AN: I was so excited just to be out there; I have never even really been on the football field, so it was just a fun and exciting experience. But when I won, it was definitely very shocking. It was such a great moment to see all my friends watching from the stands. The woman who crowned me won homecoming queen when she was at Wake a long time ago, which definitely made it extra memorable.

HC: What are you involved in on campus?

AN: I’m president of Alpha Delta Pi sorority, a supervisor for Campus Rec, and I’m on the club volleyball team.  

AN: I’m looking into different roles in business, specifically marketing and relationship management.

HC: Are there any fun perks of being homecoming queen?

AN: I got to keep the crown and the sash, which is fun – they’re in my room! It’s also just a fun inside joke with my friends now and they all call me “sister queen!” It’s cool that a lot of random people have congratulated me. It’s a great way to round out my senior year. 

AN: Jimmy the Greek. I love it!

HC: What is your go to meal at the pit?

AN: I go to the pit almost every morning for breakfast, and I make a sausage biscuit or bacon egg and cheese biscuit. I’m senior so I had to get creative!

AN: Grey’s Anatomy for sure. It’s basically the only show I watch!

AN: Get out there! I came in wanting to meet people and join everything I could, and it has turned out so well for me. I’ve met people in all different organizations and even if they’re not best friends, it’s still so nice to walk to class and know most everyone that I walk past. Even if you’re a freshman, don’t be afraid to join a new organization, introduce yourself, or take on a leadership role. Just get out there!

Photos courtesy of Max Harris, Abby Nowak, and Dean Shore

Girly girl. Pinterest addict. Actress.
Betsy Mann

Wake Forest