A Collegiette’s Favorite Thanksgiving Traditions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Halloween has passed, leaves continue to fall, and every collegiette has booked her flight home for the brief but much anticipated Thanksgiving break! Although the break is shorter than ideal, making the most of those five days makes it worthwhile.

Here are a few activities to spice up more than your cider this Thanksgiving…

*Image from Traveling Triplets

Throughout the month of November, corn mazes, hayrides, and pumpkins patches are THE places to be and THE things to do! Pumpkin picking is a fall activity that my friends and I love to partake in, so grab some gals and head over to a local pumpkin patch. If you don’t want to go through the process of carving your pumpkin, paint it! From polka dots and chevron patterns, to your own monogram, the opportunities are endless! (Check out our article ‘Pumpkin Chic’)

*Image from Deck the Holidays

Each Thanksgiving, I spend my Thursday morning watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade! Although most people enjoy the view from their couches, I have had the opportunity to attend the parade, and it was an amazing experience! It kicks off Thanksgiving morning at 9:00 a.m. on 77th Street and Central Park West, and finishes at the Macy’s in Herald Square. This year, there will be a number of new and exciting balloons greater than 50 feet, and performers such as Florida Georgia Line, Brett Eldridge, Gavin DeGraw, and even the Robertson Family from Duck Dynasty. If you live in the Northeast, bundle up and take a road trip with friends or family to experience the 87th year of the parade!

*Image from Share Alike Cooking

I would be crazy if I didn’t talk about Thanksgiving food! At my house we enjoy the usual turkey and trimmings, stuffing, and so on. But when it comes to pie, it’s fun to get creative! From Target to Michaels, a number of stores sell what look like mini cookie cutters in a plethora of fall shapes and patterns. Whether you’re eating pumpkin or sweet potato, decorating with piecrust can be a fun way to spice up the dining table.

*Image from Ruche

To bring the vibrant season to a close, each year when my family and our friends get together for Thanksgiving, we make a list of everything we are thankful for, and read them before we sit down to eat dinner. In the hustle and bustle of school and work it is easy to lose sight of everything we have, so this year, make a list of what you are thankful for, and maybe even share it with your loved ones! Happy Thanksgiving, collegiettes!

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.