This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

You heard it here first, folks: Wake Forest is a football school. At 1834 Wake Forest Road, you will find an institution rigorous in the classroom and on the field.

The Demon Deacon football team remains undefeated, having won four conference games and two non-conference games in their consecutive weekend matchups held the first six weeks of this season.

These back-to-back victories have eager fans booking hotel rooms for the ACC championship in Charlotte this December and even more ambitious supporters shouting “GIVE US BAMA” for the national title.

After a nail-biting away game this past weekend, the old gold and black defeated the Syracuse Orange with a touchdown that won it all in overtime. The epic catch in the end zone caught by #9 A.T. Perry led the Deacs to proudly boast of their 6-0 status for the first time since 1944. And the good news keeps coming—we are also ranked #16 in the Associated Press Top 25 poll and #1 in the ACC Atlantic. The Wake Forest team has their sights set on maintaining their zero on the loss sheet as they head on the road to battle Army on Friday, October 23rd, after their upcoming weekend of well-deserved rest.

But all this excitement begs the question—how did Wake Forest, previously a self-proclaimed basketball school under the leadership of legends like Tim Duncan and Chris Paul, hop from major victories on the court to on the field? Many credit the coaching of Dave Clawson, who is in his eighth season at Wake Forest with a track record of four winning seasons and five bowl game appearances during his last seven years with the team. Clawson, however, shines the spotlight on his players, commenting after the Syracuse game that it was “a magical day for our football team. I’m thankful to coach the caliber of young men that I do.”

Never have I ever been prouder to be a demon deacon. Well, maybe when we crushed Duke in a double-overtime basketball game my freshman spring semester, but our current undefeated status is giving that moment a run for its money.

For the rest of the season, the Demon Deacons are hopefully only going onwards and upwards—toward a 12-0 score sheet, the ACC championship, a bowl game win, and beyond.

Emily Hellwig

Wake Forest '23

My name is Emily Hellwig and I am a junior from Lexington, Virginia. I am Politics and International Affairs major with minors in Communication and Spanish, pursuing a career in Public Relations. I am a redhead with a soul, avid feminist, and lover of Pepsi, the deacs, dancing, and podcasts (in that order).