This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Award Show Season – ah, the time we judge celebrities over dresses that we mere collegiettes will never get to wear. Chances are, while commenting on “this amazing Zuhair Murad” and “that frumpy Dior,” we are sitting in mismatched socks, messy bun peaking over the top of our heads, while scooping the last chunks out of a Ben & Jerry’s pint.

It’s okay to embrace the marathon watching, but let’s not drop to new fashion lows. You can be the fashion police, but only when you can justify your own fashion decisions. Loungewear is a thing – a beautifully comfy thing at that.  For this Chic for Cheap, let’s see some loungewear that won’t make you feel grungy and homeless. Meet up with your fave celeb-trash-talking BFF, watch all the new awards shows, and, as a plus, look super cute in the process!

Here’s a nice travel-inspired loungewear look to give you the idea:

SHAY MITCHELL, tv actress and Instagram fiend 

Shay maintains shape, not frumpiness, by sporting leggings. I’m not typically an advocate for leggings as pants, but for the loungewear occasion, and considering the fact that we are not aiming for the highest of fashion, I’ll lay my hesitations aside. The flannel around the waist also emphasizes shape and gives her an extra layer, just in case. A white t-shirt always works, and layering a black zip-up complements those black leggings for a long, lean look.

The combat boots are functional and, paired with some fun socks, make a playful yet stylish statement. Have some fun here and mix in some color! Now, let’s match this for cheap.

The Look:

Long Leggings at Old Navy for $12

Women’s Fleece Hoodie – Mossimo Supply Co. at Target for $19.99

Rolled Short Sleeved Tee at Gap for $12.95 

Bamboo Lace-up Combat Booties at Charlotte Russe for $20

Plaid Flannel Shirt at Forever 21 for $19.90

Pair of Thieves – Men’s Performance Casual Socks at Target for $5.99 each

Leave the conventional rules behind and have fun with loungewear, collegiettes. Now you can rant away at the red carpet choices of the Oscars in comfort; only this time, you won’t be a hot mess. Remember, it’s not what you wear, but how you wear it!

*Cover image from whippedstyle.com

Isabelle Vail

Wake Forest

https://www.hercampus.com/school/wake-forest
Wake Forest Chapter of Her Campus