Chic for Cheap: Layers on Layers on Layers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Turkey. Stuffing. Mashed Potatoes. Pumpkin Pie. Gravy. More turkey. It’s not long after Thanksgiving that we forget our promised attempts to keep maintaining that hard-earned summer bod. So just do it! Give in to the delicacies of the holiday season. The good news is that it’s chilly out, and that means we can all cover up our insecurities with LAYERS.

Some of you might be saying it’s not even “cold” yet, and that may be true for you Northerners. But for me and many of my poor circulation friends: it’s perpetually cold. Also, I just really like turtlenecks and am not ashamed to admit it. 

Who else likes turtlenecks, you ask? Well, as it so happens, the super cool and fashionable movie star Margot Robbie does! Check out this post-Thanksgiving (and pre-Cyber Monday!) edition of Chic for Cheap to learn where to steal her look:

Margot Robbie, actress

This outfit is the result of so many right decisions. The jacket is hip. The over-the-knee boots are sleek, and the black pants are SO perfect to top it all off. The turtleneck is, to the opinion of many, risky, but also a practical choice considering the dry, cold air creeping in. Margot ties the grey of the sweater in with her cross-body carrier and grey-and-black tortoiseshell glasses. Everything is united, yet unpredictable. Layering done right, collegiettes.

The Jacket

Faux Suede Draped Coat for $25 (was $50.99) at Charlotte Russe

Shawl Collar Car Coat for $37.03 (was $52.90) at Forever 21

Faux Shearling Parka for $49.90 at Forever 21

Faux Fur-Hooded Parka for $32.90 at Forever 21

Fuzzy Vest with Faux Leather Trim for $48 at Ivy and Leo

The Pants

Style & Co. Curvy-Fit Skinny Jeans, Black Wash for $19.99 (was $49.99) at Macy’s

Mid-Rise Super Skinny Jeans for $29.94 at Old Navy

A&F High Rise Silk-Luxe Leggings for $29 (was $58) at Abercrombie

The Turtleneck

Heathered Turtleneck Sweater for $22.90 at Forever 21

St. John’s Bay® Long-Sleeve Essential Turtleneck Sweater for $9.99 (was $30) at JCPenny

Fine-knit Turtleneck for $9.99 (was $24.99) on H&M

Glittery Turtleneck Sweater for $17.99 (was $24.99) at H&M

Fine-knit Turtleneck Sweater for $12.99 (was $24.99) at H&M

Cable Turtleneck Sweater for $34 (was $68) at Abercrombie

Women’s Double L® Cotton Sweater, Cable Turtleneck for $44.99 at L.L.Bean

The Boots

Bamboo Over-the-Knee Riding Boots for $25 (was $47.99) at Charlotte Russe

Zip 2 It Over-The-Knee Boots for $33.86 at GoJane

The Accessories

Unstructured Faux Leather Crossbody for $19.90 at Forever 21

Metallic Tortoise Sunglasses for $7.90 at Forever 21

Metallic Cat Eye Sunglasses for $9.90

Cat Eye Sunglasses for $5.90 at Forever 21

Isabelle Vail

Wake Forest

https://www.hercampus.com/school/wake-forest