Catch Up With Hit the Bricks’ Co-Chair: Nicolette DeLorenzo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Position in Hit the Bricks: Junior Exec Co-Chair

Major: Politics/International Affairs and Economics

Hometown: Orlando, FL

HC: What made you want to become involved in Hit the Bricks?

Nicolette: My freshman year I ran in Hit the Bricks and immediately knew it was the best day of the year. With beautiful weather and so much community spirit, I never imagined that a college campus could bring students and faculty together like this event. Even more importantly, the impact of the Brian Piccolo Cancer Research Fund is so visible. The Cancer Center at Wake Forest Baptist Health has significantly changed cancer research, and we all have a story to tell about how this disease has affected our lives.

HC: Can you explain the process of planning Hit the Bricks, and what it took to make it a success?

Nicolette: Hit the Bricks planning starts in April of the previous school year and is really essential over the summer, especially this year when we held the event a week earlier. It takes creating committees (everything from Food sponsors, to entertainment, to raffles, to luminaries…), reaching out to previous sponsors (including shirt donations, Herff Jones…), and then engaging campus right when we start school again. We had to stay on top of things this year and a lot of time is taken up by meetings with different campus areas, including the Bookstore (which does so much for HTB), Student Engagement, Freshmen GHD’s, etc. All of these meetings really reminded me of how HTB is a campus wide event. We also worked on creating two Alumni events, in New York (Hit the Bikes!) and D.C., which most student don’t know about. Wake alumni raised money and put on their own events. I’m hoping to include Charlotte next year!

HC: What is your favorite thing about Hit the Bricks?

Nicolette: I am super competitive. Hit the Bricks is great because it allows everyone to use their competitive energy for an amazing cause. I also love sports and the outdoors and the sunny days we’ve had for the past two years. Basically, I think HTB is the best day of the year because of the energy on campus and how seriously everyone takes running laps around the quad.

HC: Are you a runner and did you run during this years Hit the Bricks?

Nicolette: I am! I’ve run one full marathon and five half marathons. This year, I was preoccupied with calculating laps during HTB, but the execs got to take a lap around the quad with Natty O after the kickoff.

HC: What else are you involved in on campus?

Nicolette: I am on the Wake Forest Dance Team, president of International Justice Mission, in Reformed University Fellowship and in KD! Hit the Bricks is so great because all of these organizations get to be involved, and running relays one the quad is a lot better than running timed miles for dance team.

HC: Favorite Netflix show?

Nicolette: Of all time, How to Get Away with Murder. Currently, Orange is the New Black.

HC: Favorite Winston-Salem restaurant?

Nicolette: Mary’s Diner- favorite brunch place post-race or really any day of the week.

HC: What advice do you have for freshman looking to become involved on campus?

Nicolette: If you’re interested in doing something, do it! When I was a freshman, I knew I wanted to be in charge of Hit the Bricks one day, so I started as a co-chair and worked my way there. It’s easy to say you’re too busy with academics or to be intimidated by an established group, but college is about more than just schoolwork. At the end of the day, your evident passion, not your GPA, will make you stand out to employers and be more fulfilling for you personally.

Photos courtesy of: Nicolette DeLorenzo 

Girly girl. Pinterest addict. Actress.
Hailing from Chicago, this Midwesterner turned Southern Belle is the Editor-in-Chief of Wake Forest University's chapter. When she isn't journaling for fun in her free time, she is obsessed with running around campus in giant sunglasses, wearing gold glitter eyeliner, and munching on trail mix. She's still struggling on saying "y'all" and not "guys" and has yet to try Cookout's legendary milkshakes. Follow her on twitter @Hmonyek!