BYOB: Be Your Own (Spring Break) Bartender

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Going somewhere tropical for break? Say hello to warm sand, relaxation, wavy beach hair and…ridiculously overpriced food and drink. #SorryNotSorry.

*Photo from birthdaypartybabble.com.

It might not be what you want to hear right now, but if you are traveling to an island destination, you can anticipate that the cost of food and drink will be higher than usual.

Of course, you’ll still want to cut loose and turn up (if you’re over 21) with friends. So what’s a cash-strapped collegiette to do? BYOB and pour a tropical mixed drink for yourself with one of these flavored rums or vodkas. Because, let’s be real, you are a pretty boss bartender.

*Photo from askmen.com.

NEW AMSTERDAM PINEAPPLE

New Amsterdam is good quality vodka at a lower price. The pineapple flavor begs to be sipped on a beach balcony. As far as mixers, grab a few bottles of Sprite or 7UP to go with it.

MALIBU BLACK

Malibu Black is bolder than regular Malibu. It’s also 70 proof. It pairs well with most fruit juices, in addition to iced tea or any Coke product.

*Photo from globalbebedias.com.

CIROC COCONUT

Ciroc is one of the smoothest vodkas out there, and the coconut flavor is no exception.  Mix with pineapple or orange juice for something simple.

*Photo from brigitte-bracha.com.

BACARDI SUPERIOR RUM

Plain, clear rum is a good choice if you’re interested in making your own mojito. Grab mint, lime and club soda to craft this refreshing drink for a hot afternoon. 

*Cover photo from pixshark.com.

Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.