Broadway is Back; Here Are 5 Musicals Making Comebacks this Theater Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

It may have felt like Broadway’s ghost lights shone for more than 525,600 minutes over the last theater season, like the marquee lights were only advertising shows of the seasons past, and like the stage, doors would never re-open. However, despite unprecedented challenges, members of the theater community including actors, composers, stagehands, costume designers, and even theatergoers came together in creative ways to keep the music going non-stop. The joyous love for live theater and the anticipation that grew over the past months made the reopening of Broadway this September a huge success. From returning modern successes to Off-Broadway interpretations of classic productions and brand new shows that never got the chance to open their houses to the public, this season’s lineup of Broadway shows is bound to be a wicked comeback.

1. Six

SIX the musical lives up to its purpose of rewriting history as it makes its debut on Broadway this season. Although able to perform its preview run, the show’s opening night was scheduled for that same night when all Broadway productions were forced to close their doors because of COVID-19. This musical, amending the stories of Henry VIII’s six wives, uses the pop music genre to redirect the audience’s perspective on history. Not only does it build empowering stories for these six women, but it also teaches young women through contemporary music trends to let them know that they are “one of a kind.” From the West End to Chicago, and then finally to Broadway, SIX has had a long journey to the stage it currently stands on but undoubtedly will be crowned royalty amongst this season’s lineup of shows.

2. Waitress

Whether sugar, butter, and flour, or star-studded casts, beautiful ballads, and moments of fabulous comedy, Waitress’ original run on Broadway was nothing less than amazing. The list of names those who stepped into the shoes of Jenna, Dr. Pomator, Dawn, and Ogie include Sarah Bareilles, Jeremy Jordan, Katherine McPhee, Colleen Ballinger, Jordin Sparks, Drew Gehling, and so many more. Despite announcing the close of its Broadway run before the COVID-19 shutdown, the production announced that it would return with the reopening of live theater starring Sarah Bareilles and Drew Gehling. Since its reopening, Jennifer Nettles has taken on the role of Jenna, and everyone is anticipating the arrival of Ciara Reneé in the near future.

3. Little Shop of Horrors

Little Shop of Horrors, starring Jeremy Jordan and Tammy Blanchard, made its return to the Off-Broadway lineup this season, though originally intended for spring of 2020. Actors were ready and excited to revive this humorous, witty, and popular musical right before the Broadway shutdown. However, the months of anticipation that built only grew fans’ excitement about its opening this fall.

4. BeetleJuice

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! After an end that came too soon to its run on Broadway, Beetlejuice has announced it will come back to life in April 2022. This show is filled with humor, ghostly mischief, and heartwarming messages about family. It is an adaptation of the on-screen classic and tells the story of Lydia Deetz, a young girl grieving the loss of her mother who befriends a spirit from the afterlife, Beetlejuice. Bizarre in the best way possible, Beetlejuice will have you singing “Shake Shake Shake Senora” all the way down Broadway.

5. the music man

The newest revival of The Music Man will be opening in February of 2022. The Music Man is up there as one of the most classic musicals in Broadway’s history, and this time the Wells Fargo Wagon will be bringing Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster down the street to star in its latest interpretation. If you have not seen The Music Man, this winter will be a great opportunity. The show’s classic embodiment of musical theater provides hours of enjoyment for any audience member. Hugh Jackman is bound to bring a fresh perspective to the lead role, and Sutton Foster, with shows such as Thoroughly Modern Millie on her resume, is sure to keep that classic spirit alive.

Emma Martin

Wake Forest '23

I am a sophomore at Wake Forest University. I am a lover of all things art: painting, theater, crafts, and diy. I love my two dogs Cabbi and Biscuit. I am a traveler at heart; some of my favorite places I have been are Prague and Venice. I am an intended double major in English and Studio Art with a minor in Spanish. Fun fact: I was born in London, UK.