Better Breakfasts for Better Studying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

How any collegiette manages to skip breakfast is completely lost on me! Eating breakfast is more than just the mantra of every health and fitness Pinterest.  Breakfast revs your metabolism and gives you the necessary energy to start your day. If you eat a healthy, balanced breakfast, you will be able to make it through a morning of studying for finals without feeling like you’re going crazy!

Oh, whoops, I just mentioned finals.  Does that have you bugging out?  Didn’t we just suffer through mid-terms?

Well collegiettes, here are a few breakfast ideas that will make study time a little easier on both your brain and your stomach!

*Image from MarriedWithFood.us

1. O.N.O or in other non-abbreviated words, Overnight Oats:  O.N.O opens a completely new door to the original (and sometimes bland) breakfast, oatmeal.  Before you go to bed, throw ½ a cup of Quaker oats and 1 tablespoon each of flax seeds and chia seeds together with a quarter cup plain Greek yogurt and a little water, just until it seems a little soupy, cover and put in your refrigerator until the morning.  I like to mix in some additional ingredients, like cinnamon and stevia or cocoa. Sometimes a chocolate-y breakfast is the only thing that can get you going!  In the morning, top with a handful of nuts, granola, more cinnamon, more cocoa, or sliced fruit and enjoy!  Your O.N.O will be creamy and delicious and keep you full the entire morning. 

Warning: you can get seriously creative with O.N.O. ­Apple Pie O.N.O, Pumpkin Pie O.N.O., Reese’s Cup O.N.O (that is a mixture of cocoa and peanut butter, NOT actual Reese’s cups!  Remember, you want a HEALTHY, filling breakfast, not just a filling breakfast.) Just thinking about the possibilities should make you excited to get up and eat study.

*Image from Media Cache

1. The Breakfast Wrap: the greatest on the go breakfast that is much better than any cereal bar.  Simply spread a healthy dose of peanut butter on a whole-wheat tortilla and roll around a banana.  Then you have healthy grains, healthy fats and a good dose of potassium all rolled into one, literally!  You can even add cinnamon, coconut or dried fruit to the mix for a punch of flavor.  For anyone with nut or gluten allergies, there are plenty of nut free butter and gluten free wrap options available in specialty stores, like Whole Foods, Trader Joes and Fresh Market (aka heaven for all the healthy foodie addicts out there).

*Image from AFamilyFeast.com

1. Eggs in a bowl: and you thought you NEEDED a stovetop to enjoy eggs in your room!  Granted you should probably ask permission from the ol’ roommate before you start smelling up the room up with the sweet essence of the best breakfast ever, but eggs in a bowl is totally possible if you have a microwave safe bowl, which if you’ve ever cooked late-night mac n’ cheese, you should, and eggs, of course.  It doesn’t matter what your egg-style is, whole eggs, egg whites or egg beaters, just whisk them together with a dash of salt and pepper and a tablespoon of milk or cream, though this is optional.  Cover with a paper towel and tuck the ends under the bowl – this is so the eggs become nice and fluffy – and microwave for one to two minutes.  Watch out! The bowl will be hot!  Get your grains in and sandwich this hot, not-so-messy deliciousness between two halves of a whole-wheat English muffin.  You can switch it up by adding a few slices of tomato, a handful of spinach, or a sprinkling of cheese, and if you’re really feeling adventurous, you can even roll up your eggs with spoonful of salsa in a wrap for a little Mexican flair.

Cereal doesn’t have to be your only dorm-room breakfast option.  There are so many great ideas that take very little prep time and still keep you satisfied all morning long.  If you’re really pressed for time in the morning Clif Protein Bars can be wonderful on-the-go options, but just make sure to read the nutrition labels!  Some “healthy” bars and yogurts are actually loaded with sugar, which only means a spike in your blood sugar levels and then a big slump just as you’re getting into full on study mode.

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.