Being a Modern Woman: 5 Inspirational Female Celebs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Today, college women are great examples of females with ambition, intelligence, moral character, and independence. We are reaching for careers in math and science, positions in government, advocating for human rights in underdeveloped countries, and managing to still form tight social networks with family, friends, and peers. As college women, we are in the midst of shaping our futures.  Listed below are a few women who we should note for the impacts they have made on our world.

1. Emma Watson

*Image from businessinsider.com

Watson has been at the forefront of feminist movements in recent years, acting as a Goodwill Ambassador for UN Women and the head of the HeForShe campaign for gender equality. She is a Brown University graduate with careers as an actress, model, and activist. Watson has definitely proven that beauty, brains, and bravery can come in one package, and she is a fantastic role model for young women!

2. Maya Angelou

*Image from udel.edu

WFU’s own personal connection with Angelou only strengthens our view of her as one of our top female figures. As an actress, poet, civil rights activist, and author, Angelou was renowned for her autobiographical books centering on themes of racism, identity and family – the most notable being I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. She broke into the world of literature as one of the first African American women to publicly describe her life and experiences. Angelou has been the recipient of a Pulitzer Prize nomination, three Grammy Awards, a Tony Award, the Presidential Medal of the Arts, and the Presidential Medal of Freedom.  She served on two presidential committees, and was honored on our own Wake Forest campus as a beloved professor.

3. Audrey Hepburn

*Image from remycarreiro.com

As a recognized actress from Hollywood’s Golden Age, Hepburn was also an active humanitarian as a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, helping poor communities in Africa, South America, and Asia.  She was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom for her work. Hepburn left behind a legacy of being a strong, intelligent personality, respected film actress, and notable fashion icon. As an iconic figure, she is still widely looked upon today as the definition of an independent and sophisticated woman.

4. Gabby Douglas

*Image from eurweb.com

Douglas was the first African American gymnast to become the individual all-around champion in gymnastics, as well as the first American to win gold in both team and individual competitions at the 2012 Olympics. For her athletic achievements, she has won two BET Awards and was named female athlete of the year by the Associated Press. She is definitely a prime female role model for her dedication, ambition, and talent at such a young age. Douglas proves that hard work and determination really do pay off, and that with it, you can achieve any dream!  

5. Ellen DeGeneres

*Image from abcnews.go.com

DeGeneres is a well-known television host on her self-named humorous talk show, The Ellen DeGeneres Show. DeGeneres has overcome discrimination in her life and career for her sexuality, yet she continues to make an impact by using humor to combat bullying and stigma. She has carved out an impressive career in writing, television, and film production, while also supporting animal rights. DeGeneres has also been named Hillary Clinton’s Special Envoy for Global AIDS Awareness. 

Megan Schmit

Wake Forest

Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.