This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Before I came to Wake, I thought that the whole “Work Forest” thing was a joke. I was quickly caught up to speed and now understand what people mean by “work hard, play hard.” And while this is certainly fun, it can come with some unwanted baggage, literally. So, whether you’ve spent a little too much time in the ZSR, or maybe one too many late nights at DKE, here are some tips to avoid under eye bags and keep you looking fresh faced.

There are two things you have to tackle when covering under-eye circles with concealer. The first one is the actual purple discoloring, and the second is the slight puffiness under your eyes. Concealer is the most obvious solution for fixing these problems, but the real magic happens in the application. Don’t apply concealer to just the dark circles under your eyes, because the contrast will actually draw attention to that spot, rather than blend it in. Instead, apply your concealer in a triangle shape under your eye and along your nose, that covers your dark circle and extends down onto your cheeks. This shape helps the concealer blends better with your foundation and doesn’t draw the eye directly to your under eye circles.

This is the shape you should aim for:

Below is definitely a “Don’t”:

Once you have covered your under-eye circles, you have to make sure the rest of your make up complements your concealer job. Although black eyeliner never goes out of style, its times like these when you have to try something new. Black eyeliner on your bottom lash line creates a sharp contrast with the concealer you’ve applied, drawing attention right to your under eyes. Instead of going all black all over, try a smudgy, smoky look with a shade of brown. The softer look will work with you to hide those circles.

Think more like this:

Instead of this:

As for your eyebrows, try to shade them a little darker and thicker, rather than a super defined look, so that your whole eye region looks softer. Use an angled eyeshadow brush and a color that’s slightly darker than your normal shade to create a fuller look. This subtle change will work to emphasize your eyes, rather than the ugly bags underneath them!

Think a little more Megan Fox here:

Than Megan Fox here:

(Although, let’s be honest, does she even get under-eye circles??)

And remember, even if you can’t get in those eight hours of beauty sleep, try to stay hydrated during the week and maintain a healthy diet so you can avoid that under-eye baggage and other signs of exhaustion! 

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.