This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

We all have our own unique routines when it comes to hair care, but there are some product essentials we should all have to keep our locks looking 110%. Check out these tips and tricks I’ve received for healthy, happy hair!

Leave-in Conditioners 

One of the first steps toward rocking luscious locks is adding a leave-in conditioner to your regular hair routine. After the same old song and dance of shampoo and conditioner, your hair could need a little more something-something to keep it moisturized and healthy. Leave-in conditioners add shine to your hair, moisturize your ends, and detangle your locks, without drowning your hair in heavy products. Even better, these post-shower products can help you style your hair and control frizz. What’s not to like?

The Right Brush

I never really thought that hairbrushes mattered when it came to hair care. They’re basically all the same, right? Well I have definitely changed my tune after trying the “Tangle Teezer.” A friend introduced me to this little plastic hairbrush that looks like it could be for American Girl dolls, but is actually a miracle worker. The Tangle Teezer is designed to brush wet hair and work through tangles gently, without pulling out your hair or ripping through knots. After using this brush for two or so weeks, you will see how your hair is noticeably thicker and softer after your shower. I’m obsessed!

Beat the Heat

Another super important product for your hair health is a heat protectant! Heat-protectants save your hair from damaged ends and extend the life of your blowout so you can avoid styling over and over again. When I started styling my hair more regularly, my hairdresser recommended that I invest in a heat protectant spray so I wouldn’t do any irreparable damage to my hair. If you’re like me, and like to blast your hair with high temperatures and intense styling devices, then invest in a spray or leave-in product that can protect your hair while still accomplishing the style you want.

Care Beyond the Hair

Even with all the products I have mentioned so far, there is more to hair care than just leave-in’s and brushes. The best thing you can do for your hair is nourish it from the inside out. I definitely noticed great improvements in my hair’s health when I added various vitamins to my diet. My favorite supplement is Biotin, which helps improve hair strength and growth. This little miracle vitamin is notorious for enhancements in skin, hair, and nails. After I started taking it regularly, I noticed my skin looked refreshed, my hair and nails felt stronger, and my eyelashes started to grow! Biotin is a must-have supplement to your beauty routine. I would also recommend Vitamin E if you’re looking to make your hair grow faster, as well as maintaining a healthy diet.

There are tons of different options for the products I have described, so you should look for ones that fit your hair type. My favorite hair care website is www.Folica.com, which is great for finding products and style devices that will work with your hair. Best of luck on your journey for killer strands! 

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.