Style > Beauty

Beauty Blog: Fake It Til You Make It – How to Fake Healthy Looking Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Whether you’ve never dyed a single strand of your hair, or you bleach your whole head every other month, it’s pretty easy to have damaged, dry hair. It’s especially hard if you’re trying to grow your hair out, and you don’t want to abide by the “get it cut every six weeks” rule. It’s even harder if you already have super long hair, because that means those strands have been growing for YEARS and have definitely had their fair share of wear and tear. No matter your hair length, color, or thickness, damaged split ends affect everybody just the same. Use these tips to help you fake it ‘til you make it, so your hair can look healthy and gorgeous every day of the week.

The most important tip for faking healthy hair is to NOT wash it every day! Shampooing constantly strips your hair of natural oils and will dry it out even further. Rather, you should style your hair so that you can go for about two days without washing it. Oil and damaged ends are most obvious with straightened hair, so it is best to style it in waves. To style it in this way you need a heat protectant, so as to not dry your hair out even more, and light hair oil that will give your hair that glossy, healthy look. But remember, you aren’t washing your hair for a couple days so don’t get that hair oil anywhere near your roots! Rather, work it through your hair in dime-sized amounts from the ends to about half way up. Comb this through with a comb or fine brush.

Next, separate your hair into workable sections and comb about inch and half sized sections. Spray the heat protectant on each section before you wrap the hair around the curling iron. Start towards the base of the section and run the iron through your hair until you reach the end. Twirl this curl around your finger so it holds more, and then let it cool before you pull it out. Repeat this around your whole head until your hair looks gorgeous and wavy.

Day 1                                                      Day 2 or 3

Because you want this look to last a few days, I recommend using a 1.5-inch curling iron. The first day the curls will look a later tighter but by the second or third day they will have relaxed and look super loose and beachy.    

Remember, on your journey to actually get healthy hair, avoid shampooing excessively and deep condition your hair at least once a week! You will see improvements in no time. Best of luck faking those perfect locks! 

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.