Style > Beauty

Beauty Blog: Celebrate National Healthy Skin Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

So, not only is November the month of delicious feasts, national holidays, and Thanksgiving break, it is also National Healthy Skin Month!  To kick it off, I thought I’d throw you all a few tips to keep your skin glowing, fresh, and clean in honor of this month.

Paws Off

In our haste and absent-mindedness, we often forget how important it is to keep our hands off of our face. It can be difficult to remember something this small, but a little change can make a big difference. Keep oil and bacteria away from your face by touching your skin as little as possible.  Also, always wash your hands before you wash your face. Otherwise, you’re just defeating the purpose! It’s also handy to keep oil-blotting wipes on your person in case you desperately need to touch up your face, but don’t want to risk clogging your pores.

Keep ‘Em Clean

Washing your brushes both extends the life of your beauty tools and also prevents you from sweeping bacteria and oil onto your face every time you apply your makeup. There’s no sense in cleaning them everyday, but make sure to give your brushes a little rinse and cleansing from time to time. I recommend making your own brush wash instead of buying some expensive one. Combine a gentle face cleanser (Cetaphil or Johnson’s baby shampoo are the best) with water in a small dish and mix. Stir your brushes in this combo and then rinse gently under water. Leave them out to dry overnight and you’re set!

Moisturize!

Lightweight moisturizers are sometimes overlooked or forgotten, but they are actually powerful beauty weapons. They keep your skin looking dewy and young and help to make your foundation look even better. Using a moisturizer under your powder foundation will help the makeup to stick better and have a more even coverage. If you use liquid foundation, a moisturizer is a great preparation step, so that your skin mostly soaks up the good stuff instead of layers of foundation, blush, bronzer etc. The best moisturizers are primarily water based and very lightweight. I recommend these two:

This combination also works really well for removing makeup residue!

A Little Extra Somethin’ Somethin’

The best, number one, outstanding, infallible tip for great skin is to drink tons of water. You’ve heard it before, and I’ll say it again; water flushes out toxins in your system and provides the most basic ingredient that your body needs. Drinking an extra couple glasses each day will keep your skin fresh and youthful. If you want to go the extra mile, add more vitamin A into your diet each day. You can take the vitamins themselves, grab an extra handful of almonds, or eat more avocados to provide your body with great nutrients for your skin.   

Although the month of November may be better known for Turkey Day and college football, it is also an important time to focus some attention and celebrate your skin. Use these tips to keep your skin bright and glowing throughout the winter months! 

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.