Be Healthy and Fit at the Forest: Sleep Cycles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Catching Z’s in college isn’t as easy as it should be. All-nighters are more frequent than naps. The library doubles as a Motel 6 for students who need a more serious environment for working on papers, reading assignments, and class projects. And caffeine-addictions are born during those crucial college years.

We all know that a good night’s sleep will help improve academic performance, but there are more side effects to sleep deprivation than forgetting the Periodic Table of Elements.

First of all, what do you do to make it through long-nights in the library or the residence halls? You probably have some high-sugar, high-calorie snacks around to keep yourself energized. Instead of snacking on high-protein almonds or crunching on an apple, chocolate, high-sugar cereal, and other processed snacks are your go-to energy.

Bad late-night food choices are not completely the student’s fault. Campus dining halls are not open all night. After ten PM, if you don’t have something healthy on hand, the only options are pizza delivery, fast-food, or—the Demon Deacon’s personal favorite—Cookout.

It also comes down to money. Splitting a pizza with friends will only set you back a few dollars. And delivery is a lot more convenient than going out. Less time away from the books.

Those high-calorie late-night meals aren’t the only things to blame for those extra pounds. Studies show that people who get fewer than 7 hours of sleep per night are more likely to gain weight.

So why would we choose to do something that makes us gain weight? I pulled two all-nighters last week. I wasn’t thinking about how the lack of sleep would affect my metabolism. I was thinking about my paper for French, my reading for Art History, and my video assignment for Dance History. School takes priority over sleep in college. That’s just part of the experience.

But the habits you start in college will carry over to real life after graduation. If you make sleep a priority, you are more likely to keep it that way. It is proven that getting more sleep, in addition to a balanced diet and regular exercise, will keep you healthy and happy longer.

Yes, it is important to be prepared for that big math midterm. Yes, it is important to keep up with your reading for English. Yes, it is important to write that History paper and turn it in on time. But is it more important than your health? That is something you have to decide for yourself. Psychology grades come and go, but you have to live with your body for the rest of your life. Think about it.

Kelsey Garvey is a junior English major at Wake Forest University. Her upbringing in Connecticut, otherwise known as country club land, inspired her to write in order to escape and locate something more. Writing has also acted as her outlet to dabble in subjects far beyond her my intellectual capacity: art, culture, design, fashion, photography, and music. Other than reading Vogue and Vanity Fair cover-to-cover, Kelsey enjoys frequenting the blogosphere, speaking franglais in daily conversation, and laughing at her own pathetic jokes. Feel free to email her with any questions or comments.