Be Healthy and Fit at the Forest: Heart Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Just when it seems that life has settled into a steady, peaceful routine, something happens so unexpectedly that it rocks your world. It happened to me last week: I received a message from my mom telling me that one of my friends from home has passed away at the age of 23—from a heart attack.

A varsity baseball player in high school, my friend was extremely active and very healthy. Unfortunately, even he was not safe from heart complications. This tragedy has had a profound effect on my hometown, and it got me thinking: what can we do to prevent another tragedy like this?

Heart disease is the number one killer of both men and women; more than 1 in 3 Americans already have heart disease in some form (high blood pressure, for example). Everyone probably knows at least one person—and maybe even one relative—that has experienced heart disease and has undergone risky surgery or passed away. The statistics are astounding.

“Heart-healthy” diets are as trendy as “low-carb” and “fat-free” ones. We all know how beneficial cardio exercise is to our overall health and wellness. Smoking is dangerous for your heart health, as is excessive alcohol and sugar binges. And although stress is a part of everyday life, stress-management is also crucial to longevity.

We can’t all be expected to run for an hour or more every day, to eliminate all red meat from our diets, and get eight-plus hours of sleep each night. It’s ideal, but it isn’t realistic. We can, however, make several small changes to promote a heart-healthier lifestyle. Even in college, we have options.

We are fortunate enough to have a fully-equipped fitness center on campus with new cardio equipment, countless weight machines, weekly group yoga and step classes, and even an indoor swimming pool. Running not your thing? Hop on the elliptical for half an hour, or jump in the pool for some laps. Both great cardiovascular exercises. If the gym isn’t really your scene, take your fitness routine outside; rain or shine, taking a walk around the campus or the community is a fun option. Or, if you’re like me and you prefer to exercise in the comfort of your own room, buy a workout DVD. You can find every type of exercise—from Pilates and yoga to kickboxing and aerobics—on DVD these days.

Campus food may not be “just like mamma makes,” but there are infinite possibilities when it comes to heart-healthier meal options. Eat an egg-white omelet with lots of vegetables and a side of wheat toast for a healthy, filling breakfast. Replace the all-beef cheeseburger with a turkey or veggie burger topped with vegetables on a wheat bun for lunch. At dinner, stick with the salad bar and fill up on heart-healthy proteins like black beans, white-meat chicken, and chickpeas; opt for balsamic vinegar and olive oil instead of ranch dressing; and try to top your salad with vegetables in all colors of the rainbow to boost the nutritional value.

Stress is a little bit harder to wrestle. I personally believe that college professors have ESP because they all seem to choose the same due dates for everything during the semester, thus provoking seemingly unbearable amounts of stress for students. We deal with it, but we can do better. Try yoga: it’s a great stress reliever. Exercise in general, actually, can help relieve stress. Drink green tea: not only does it relieve stress, but it speeds up metabolism and clears the skin. Put the textbook down and pick up something you actually want to read. Take a nap: relax, rejuvenate, and refocus.

Life is short, collegiettes™. Live it to the fullest. You don’t know what tomorrow holds. You only have today. Do with it what you will.

Kelsey Garvey is a junior English major at Wake Forest University. Her upbringing in Connecticut, otherwise known as country club land, inspired her to write in order to escape and locate something more. Writing has also acted as her outlet to dabble in subjects far beyond her my intellectual capacity: art, culture, design, fashion, photography, and music. Other than reading Vogue and Vanity Fair cover-to-cover, Kelsey enjoys frequenting the blogosphere, speaking franglais in daily conversation, and laughing at her own pathetic jokes. Feel free to email her with any questions or comments.