Ask Ayla: What to do About Your Hometown Honey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

So it comes – the time to head to school, start a new semester of classes, hang with your college friends, and make that oh-so-tough decision of what to do about your hometown honey. Now not every girl knows what it’s like, but chances are you or a close friend has been faced with this difficult decision before.

For some, the decision is as easy as 1-2-3, and for others, it could mean days of endless contemplation along with piles of pros and cons lists. Yes, every situation is different as is every relationship; but in the end, it all comes down to two choices: stay in a relationship or go to college single and ready to mingle.

For sophomore Katherine Ross (16’), deciding to stay with her boyfriend from home was easy.

“For me, I didn’t see any other option,” said Katherine. “I couldn’t imagine myself dating anyone else. [Making the decision] requires a lot of thoughtful communication. It’s a really personal decision, and you just have to do what’s right for you in the end.”

What separates Katherine from many of her female counterparts is that she was 100% confident when she decided to stay with her boyfriend in college. There were no doubts, what-ifs, or regrets. She was fully willing to exert all of the necessary effort in order to keep her relationship going strong.

Moral of the story ladies: if you’re someone who’s ready to do what it takes to make your long-distance relationship work, then I say go for it! But if you’re not at the place where you can make someone else a priority in your life, then maybe you should re-think if you’re really ready to make a long-distance commitment.

There is something you must consider, however, and it bears a pretty significant amount of weight in any long-distance relationship –  the willingness of your significant other to put in the work, too. If you’re dating someone who isn’t exactly sure of his commitment to you, then that’s essentially a big, flashing neon sign that your relationship just isn’t meant to go the distance. 

Now in a perfect world if your boyfriend were to pull a Noah Calhoun and tell you that, “…it’s not going to be easy. It’s going to be really hard; we’re going to have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever. You and me everyday,” then I would say he’s pretty darn committed. But since we don’t live in a perfect world, something along those lines should work too.

In the end it all comes down to the give and take; just be sure that you’re not the one doing all of the giving and let someone else do some of the taking. 

Ayla Yazdani

Wake Forest

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.