Ariel Stephenson and Her Love For the Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Year: Sophomore

Major: HES major, most likely to minor in Spanish

Home: Prince George, Virginia

As the Deacs near the end of their season, we’re catching up with Ariel Stephenson to hear about her season so far and post-season hopes.

Her Campus (HC): When did you start playing basketball?

Ariel Stephenson (AS): I was five when I first played but then I stopped for a while. In 6th grade I started to become serious again.

HC: What is your position?

AS: When I was younger I was taller than everybody so I played in the post. But over the years I ended up being an average height and therefore started playing guard. I have been in this position since 8th grade and I love it!

HC: How do you like the team and coaches at Wake?

AS: The coaches are very personable, they care about my well-being on and off the court. My teammates are amazing and we all get along so well. I wouldn’t trade them for the world.

HC: Why Wake?

AS: I got an offer my freshman year and after sophomore year I finally came to visit. I just fell in love with it and knew this was the place for me.

HC: Coming here, did everything meet your expectation?

AS: I didn’t really know what to expect coming in – neither in regards to college nor basketball. When I was younger, I didn’t think I was good enough to play college basketball. So coming here, I told myself I would just stick to what I know what worked. So I kept working hard and I got to where I am now!

HC: Do you know what you want to do after college?

AS: Maybe PA school but obviously I’d love to play professionally if I get the chance to.

HC: Is it very hard to get to play professionally?

AS: In the U.S. yeah for sure, but overseas not so much. There is always a chance.

HC: Would you go overseas?

AS: Yeah, I think that would be a cool experience. Being able to get to see the world for a couple years and experience different places. I know a few people who have done it and it sounds really cool. If that doesn’t work out, I would want to coach.

HC: Why coaching?

AS: I love the game so much and I can’t imagine myself being away from it. So coaching would be a great way to take my love for the game and give it to others.

HC: Would you try to be a college coach?

AS: Yeah I want to be around people who have the same passion as me.

HC: What do you like the best about basketball?

AS: I love how basketball is so competitive. There is no for sure winner or loser. Everyone has a chance to win. It is about who competes and works the hardest.

HC: So, how is the season going so far?

AS: Our season is going pretty well. We work hard every day, compete in every game.

HC: Unfortunately, compared to the men’s team the stadium is not as filled on game day…

AS: I think the fans will come. I know a lot of people who have said that once they came to a girls’ game, the ended up loving it. So you just have to give it a chance.

HC: Are less fans common everywhere?

AS: At some schools with a historically more successful program, they have a lot more fans. But within the time, I have been here, more people have been coming to Wake games as well. And I believe as time goes along and we keep getting better, we will continue to have more fans too.

HC: How much of the season do you have left?

AS: Two more ACC games and then one more tournament game that’s promised. And if we win, we will get another. Depending on how those three games go, we might have a post season.

HC: When is the next home game?

AS: On Sunday!

Check out the schedule and come out to support our DEACS! They deserve it!

Ann Schwede

Wake Forest

Lara-Ann is a sophomore at Wake Forest University, majoring in Communication and minoring in Journalism and Sociology. Besides school, she runs for Wake's track team and writes for the athletic website. She was born and raised in Germany, loves to travel and meet new people. When she is not practicing, she is probably sitting somewhere drinking coffee and eating Nutella.
Betsy Mann

Wake Forest