Life > Experiences

Appreciation for the group chat with my high school best friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Throughout my first year of college, so much in my life has changed. Being away from home for the first time and away from anyone that I know has changed me in some ways too and has led me to become a more independent person. I’ve met so many great people during my freshman year, people who are different than those that I grew up with and who are from all over the country and even the world. I’ve really loved meeting new people and have learned so much from them. 

That being said, I don’t know how I would have gotten through this year without the group chat that I have with my best friends from back home. From August until now, not a day goes but that we don’t text. Whether we’re sharing funny stories about our days, checking in on each other, or asking for advice, we’ve stayed so connected that I almost feel like I get to talk to them in real life. 

Last summer, I was so worried about how I would get through college only seeing my best friends every few months. I was used to getting to see them every day at school since we were 12 and having their constant support and laughter. I’d heard stories about people who grew apart from their high school best friends in college and really didn’t want that to happen to us. Luckily, we’ve stayed in touch so well that I feel like we still know everything happening in each others’ lives. Sometimes, no matter how great new friends are, your best friends from home are the only ones who will understand certain things.  Now, when we get to see each other every few months, it’s just as fun but we also know what is going on and don’t feel like we’ve spent any time apart. Moments like these make me really thankful for technology!

It’s been so calming to know that even if my best friends are scattered many miles apart, we are only one text away. 

Sarah Malone

Wake Forest '22

My name is Sarah and I'm a freshman at Wake Forest University from Charlotte, NC. I love traveling, reading, and going for hikes. I hope you enjoy my articles!