Aphrodite’s Advice: 4 Low Key Ways to Celebrate Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Only five days until Valentine’s Day, collegiettes! Some of us love Valentine’s Day and all the excitement it brings – love is in the air, am I right?  Fluffy teddy bears, chocolates and delicate red and pink lace fill the aisles of all your favorite stores. But others aren’t a fan of the holiday, finding the commericality and cheesy pick-up lines to be pointless. If that sounds like you, then you’ll love these four low key ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day this year, whether it be with your S.O. or girl squad:

1. Movie Night

Any day is a good day to for a movie marathon! Redbox, Netflix, and Hulu are all great options for finding the perfect flick. Sit down with your girls and watch a rom-com ( I’d start with When Harry Met Sally), but if that isn’t your thing, then a Harry Potter Marathon will always do.

2. Be a Tourist

Winston-Salem has more to offer than you think, so plan an off-campus getaway. Check out a movie at Aperture Cinema, or explore Winston’s rich culture by visiting Old Salem. Winston-Salem is also home to several vineyards and fine-dining restaurants. The Triad also has many amazing museums, so indulge your inner history or art buff and have fun. Most places have student discounts, so be sure to bring your Wake ID.

3. Go Hiking

The weather’s been somewhat warm lately, so if you and bae are the outdoorsy type, a quick trip to Pilot Mountain could be a fantastic (and scenically romantic!) way to spend the day. Pack a lunch and comfy shoes, and be sure to take a few selfies with the beautiful outdoors.

4. Cook/Bake

Plan a menu together and chef it up with your S.O. or squad! Have everyone bring something and throw together a Valentine’s Day potluck, or, if you tend to avoid the kitchen, ordering in is also a great option. You could even combine cooking dinner together with watching movies! 

However you choose to spend your Valentine’s Day, remember it’s a day of celebration, not stress. So take a break from your assignments, sit back, and spend some quality time with the people you care about!

Mia Wilson

Wake Forest

Mia Wilson is a senior English and French double major at Wake Forest University. When not in class or studying frantically, she enjoys working out in the gym, catching up on the latest fashion trends and napping. Her hobbies include traveling, her Maltese Nahla and drinking Starbucks. Catch her on Instagram @mwilson__14
Wake Forest Chapter of Her Campus