Aphrodite’s Advice: Strong Independent Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

From an early age, I was taught that I am my own woman. A strong collegiette who can do what I want and be who I want. My mother raised me to be a woman who could stand on her own and take care of herself! 

In relationships, however, I’ve noticed that sometimes we feel like we have to sacrifice pieces of who we are to satisfy a guy. So, over the past few weeks, I’ve been really thinking about independence in relationships, and I decided on three key ways to truly maintain your independene while dating.

1. Keep your own goals and plans:

Do you want to study abroad? I do. Half a year away from my boyfriend seems nearly unbearable, but I know that these experiences are necessary for me. I want to travel and see the world. While I’d love to do that with my boyfriend, it isn’t possible at the moment. Despite that, I will not pass up the great opportunities that Wake offers. Don’t limit your goals to Wake either. You life goals should never be compromised for a man. Of course, if you goals change and you and your partner discuss where you want to go in life, that is completely different!

2. Speak your mind. Don’t be “Yes” girl:

My boyfriend is a Star Wars nerd. I don’t want to watch those movies constantly. My boyfriend enjoys watching baseball, while I don’t understand a thing about it. Because of this, I don’t watch it either. Generally, we have the same interests, but every so often we find something that we feel differently about. I’m not going to say I like something just because he does. That defeats the purpose of getting to know each other. Your boyfriend should get to know who you are, not who you think he wants you to be. Be yourself. She’s more beautiful than any made up image.

3. Maintain your Individuality:

There is a difference between changing who you are to please your man and freely doing things that you know will make him happy. As stated in the previous point, I don’t want to sit and watch Star Wars, nor will I claim to know everything about it and be the biggest fan. I will, however, offer to watch them with my boyfriend occasionally, because I enjoy making him happy. Some girls also like to please their man through their appearance. They adopt a new style or change their hair. Do these things because they make YOU happy, not because they make your man like you more. He should like you for you. It’s cliche, but it’s true!

Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.