Aphrodite’s Advice: Picking the Perfect Couples Halloween Costume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Choosing a costume for everyone’s favorite dress-up day of the year can be difficult. Now imagine trying to find a costume that both you and your significant other agree on? Virtually impossible. Don’t fret just yet, I’ve put together a list of how to choose the perfect costume that both you and your Halloween sidekick will love.

1.      Opposites Attract

So you and your significant other have VERY different personalities. Seems like things might get a little heated when you sit down to try and plan a costume together, right? … Wrong! This is the perfect opportunity to let your creativity shine. Take a hint or two from Freaky Friday and switch roles for the night. Dress up as each other’s favorite sport, activity, or hobby. Not only is this a fun way to spice up the night, but also a great opportunity to put yourself in each other’s shoes – literally!

2.      Super Couple

For all my “power couples” out there, choose your favorite super hero and move full speed ahead from there. The possibilities are truly endless with this option because most superheroes have a secret lover or sidekick. The best part about this costume? You can switch it up to make it funny, dress it up to make it cute, or dress it less to make it sexy! My personal favorite is Batman and Cat Woman.

3.      Disney Characters

Who doesn’t love characters from classic movies – especially Disney movies? For all my pink wearing, glitter loving, only-daughter girls out there, this idea is made for you. It gives you a chance to be your true alter-ago for the night: a princess. Strut around in your tiara and tutu all night and feel fabulous! It also gives you a chance to make your boyfriend wear a suit all night (and isn’t he ah-dorable when he gets all dressed up?).

4.      Famous Doppelgängers

Everyone loves a duo that resembles a famous couple in history. Who did you most admire in history class? Have you ever wanted to solve a crime like Bonnie and Clyde? Sneak into the White House to meet up with your lover like Marilyn Monroe? Dance the night away like Baby in Dirty Dancing? Now’s your chance! Who do you and your bf most resemble? Ask around for your celeb doppelgängers and take their style!

5.      Blast from the Past

If you’ve ever found yourself daydreaming about the past or if you think you were born in the wrong century – that you should have been an aristocrat in the Victorian era, a flapper dancing the jitterbug in your dress adorned with pearls and feathers, a hippie fighting for peace with bell-bottom jeans and floral-print shirts, or an 80s diva teasing your hair before pulling it back in a scrunchy for a night out at the Disco, then you should consider dressing up as a different decade or time period in history! Make this idea more unique by researching the styles in different countries during their past decades.

Halloween is approaching quickly, collegiettes! I hope I made your costume hunting a little less stressful. Happy Halloween!

*Cover image from alldayimages.com