American Dream: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez made history in the recent midterm election as the youngest

woman to be elected to Congress amongst a surge of female candidates. At only twenty-nine

years old, she gained popularity among lower to middle class, and represents New York’s

Fourteenth Congressional district, including parts of the Bronx and Queens.

Both of Ocasio-Cortez’s parents grew up poor: her mother in Puerto Rico and her father

in the South Bronx. Her parents decided that the public education in their Bronx neighborhood of

Parkchester wasn’t sufficient, so they pulled together enough money to afford a small house in a

prosperous part of Westchester County. Ocasio-Cortez attended high school with the awareness

that she was different from most of the wealthy, white students. After attending Boston

University, she returned to the Bronx where her family was struggling to make ends meet after

the death of her father.

Ocasio-Cortez worked on the Bernie Sanders campaign and after his defeat, she was

recruited to the Brand New Congress, an organization started by Sanders’ staff devoted to getting

more people who shared his values elected to government positions. Branding herself as a

woman of the people, Ocasio-Cortez is a member of the Democratic Socialists of America. In an

early campaign video she says, “women like me aren’t supposed to run for office. I wasn’t born

to a wealthy or powerful family. . . . This race is about people versus money. We’ve got people,

they’ve got money.” Her statement rang true with the voters, who elected her to instigate real

change for their district.

Today Ocasio-Cortez represents hope, not only for women, but for millennials and

younger generations who are trying to make a difference. She embodies the ideal of the

American dream: a daughter of a poor immigrant who attained a high position in the United

States government through than hard work and merit.

Alice Bothwell

Wake Forest '22

Alice is currently a junior at Wake Forest University. She’s originally from New York City but is very excited to be living in the South!
Haley Callicott

Wake Forest '19

Haley is a current senior at Wake Forest University majoring in business and minoring in writing. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for HC Wake Forest, a member of Kappa Beta Gamma and an undergraduate advisor for the Student Advisory Board.