Aaron Rountree (’16)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Name: Aaron Rountree
Year: Sophomore
Hometown: Wilson, NC
Major: Economics and Communication
Relationship Status: Single
Favorite Food: Spaghetti

HC (Her Campus): What’s it like to play basketball for Wake?
AR (Aaron Rountree): It’s a great experience. It’s a small community so everybody knows everybody. It’s just a great tradition to play in.

HC: What are you looking forward to with the beginning of the season?
AR: I’m about to go to the Bahamas next week so I’m really looking forward to that.

HC: Nice! What are you doing in the Bahamas?
AR: We have a basketball tournament down there. It’s a huge game on national TV. We’re playing Kansas.

HC: That will be super fun! So how long have you been playing basketball?
AR: Since I was four years old. My dad was a pretty good basketball player. He played Division II college basketball so he showed me the ropes.

HC: How demanding are your practices?
AR: I spend about four or five hours a day doing basketball-related things. It’s tiring, but I love it.

HC: Wow you’re really committed! What is your favorite kind of dunk?
AR: That’s tough. Probably backwards reverse. I like it because it’s showy and you land backwards.

HC: Have you ever thought about going pro?
AR: Definitely. That’s what I want to do with my life.

*Image from Wake Forest Sports 

HC: If you decided not to go pro, what would you want to do?
AR: I just did a sports broadcasting internship so I would like to do something in that career path or work as an economist.

HC: So when you’re not practicing, what do you like to do in your free time?
AR: I like to listen to music, go out with friends, and do community service. I went on a mission trip this summer to St. Vincent and the Grenadines to work with kids. I loved it.

HC: Is there anything else that you’re involved in on campus besides basketball?
AR: I’m in SAAC – Student Athlete Advisory Committee. It’s like an athlete-based leadership group that makes all of the sports-related decisions. Like when we bought the Joel Coliseum, we had a say in that. They pick two athletes from every team and I got picked.

HC: That must be nice to call the shots instead of just make them! So what do you look for in a girl?
AR: I like a girl who’s smart, has a sense of humor, has a nice smile and is just fun to be around.

HC: If you found a girl like that, describe your perfect date.
AR: I would do an all day thing. We could go somewhere nice for breakfast and maybe cook lunch. I cook a little bit. And then do some kind of fun activity like laser tag or bike ride. Then after that, I would take her to dinner and a movie to close the night off.

HC: Do you have any pet peeves?
AR: Not really, I’m pretty easy to get along with. Not much bothers me.

HC: In the spirit of Thanksgiving, what are some things that you’re thankful for?
AR: My family, friends and the opportunity to play basketball at Wake Forest.

HC: That’s sweet. Who is your celebrity crush?
AR: It would have to be Beyoncé because she’s so beautiful and she has so much power now. It’s attractive how much power and influence she has as a woman celebrity.

HC: Got to love Beyoncé! How would you describe your style? Are you always in basketball shorts?
AR: No, I’m a big time shoe collector so I have over 160 pairs of shoes. Sometimes I’m in basketball shorts and sometimes I dress up.

HC: Wait – did you say 160? What’s your favorite pair?
AR: I love all of my Jordans and I really like my Cole Haans when I want to switch it up with the casual.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
AR: Wow that is so far away. Well, I turned 20 this weekend so in 10 years I’ll be 30 and hopefully playing professional basketball or have some kind of successful career. Hopefully I’ll be happy with a family.

HC: If you could pack your bags and go any place in the world right now, where would it be?
AR: I would go somewhere hot with a beach. Maybe like Jamaica or Italy to shop since I love clothes.

HC: What would you say is your most attractive quality and why?
AR: I would have to say my good spirit and just being optimistic.

HC: And, of course, your basketball talent! Is there a motto that you live or play by?
AR: I think the biggest one is to make the most of every moment and just live it up.

*Photography by Kristen Merlo 

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.